Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
thorr-kan

Default Joshua Lewin, Soldier of Creation

(This sprang into my head fully formed on the drive to work this morning. It wouldn't leave me alone until I committed it to text.)

When Joshua appeared in Detroit celestial scene, he became a wild card in the Motor City. His appearance confounded both celestials and infernals, generating furious queries for further information on this human. As the decades pass, his mystery only deepened.

Joshua is the son of American missionaries to the Philippines. He was born in Manilla and his childhood was spent throughout the archipelago. By all reports, Joshua had a normal, if mobile, childhood. When Joshua turned 18, he returned to the Detroit to further his education. His paper trail is impeccable. Injuring Joshua causes disturbance and attunements register him as human.

But how can a human recall the light of Heaven?

Joshua reminisces about the Fall like he was there. He remembers sprouting black wings in opposition to Lucifer's heresy and has personally provided eyewitness accounts to incidents millennia old. His fighting is unorthodox and includes styles not scene outside Heaven in centuries. And he was born just under nine months after Eli's last reported visit to Heaven.

When questioned, Joshua simply replies, "Of course I'm human. But I was an angel once. Perhaps I will be again." Even Superior-level Seraph resonances show this statement as simple truth.

Occurrences like Joshua are why Eli's walkabout gives Dominic headaches.

Joshua is a spry man in his 60s. His brown eyes are framed by still brown hair. Though his features are weathered, he looks half this actual age.

Joshua Lewin
Soldier of Creation

Corporeal Forces: 2
Strength – 4
Agility – 5
Ethereal Forces: 2
Intelligence – 4
Precision – 5
Celestial Forces: 2
Will – 5
Perception – 5

Advantages: Blessed, Charisma +1 (ruggedly handsome), Potential Forces+3, Toughness +1

Attunements: Malakite of Creation

Disadvantages: None

Discord: Geas/6 (“Never suffer an evil to live when it’s my choice.”), Geas/6 (“Never surrender or allow myself to be captured by the armies of Lucifer.”)

Status/2: Freelance martial arts instructor (it pays the bills, but it ain’t real lucrative.)

Skills (free, human): Area Knowledge (Detroit)/3, Knowledge (The War)/3, Knowledge (Tagalog)/1, Drive/1, Swimming/1, Language (English)/3

Skills: Dodge/6, Fighting (mastery)/6, Language (Spanish)/1, Savoir-faire/1

Joshua is a balanced starting character, if the DM is willing to grant full character points for his Geas.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Attercap

Default Re: Joshua Lewin, Soldier of Creation

Nicely done!
Old 08-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attercap View Post
Nicely done!
Thanks!

Care to make any guesses to what he actually is?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Here are a couple of guesses:

1) Eli spliced an Ethereal force from a Remnant Malakite (of Creation) onto young Joshua.

2) A Malakite (of Creation) used a Rite to help Joshua's parents conceive, and donated an Ethereal force to Joshua.

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
Whitelaughter

given geases expire, perhaps change them to Vulnerability (being a prisoner of hell)&(voluntarily suffering evil to live)?
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
given geases expire, perhaps change them to Vulnerability (being a prisoner of hell)&(voluntarily suffering evil to live)?
That's an interesting variation that I hadn't thought of.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
thorr-kan

Full Disclosure: I don't really have a fixed answer here. I have a few ideas, but I'm always curious about alternate interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
Here are a couple of guesses:

1) Eli spliced an Ethereal force from a Remnant Malakite (of Creation) onto young Joshua.
That's a variant on one of my ideas: human CelForces grafted onto a Remnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
2) A Malakite (of Creation) used a Rite to help Joshua's parents conceive, and donated an Ethereal force to Joshua.
Oooh, I hadn't considered something like that! Midwife attunement for the win.