Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Kazander

Default Modifying Dice + Adds Rule

Is there a way to modify this optional rule so that instead of the default GCA behavior, at +3 it breaks to the "+1 die -1 (pip)", then retains the break at +4 for +1 die, and +7 for +2 dice?

I prefer it this way to having a +3 'add', and it's the way I play in my GURPS game. If I could get GCA to support this it would be nice.

(hope this makes sense).
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Modifying Dice + Adds Rule

This is fully explained in the Basic Set data file under the [ConvertDice] heading. I'm copying the full section, including the Explanation, below for convenience. Just drop this into your own data file and load it in your Data Set somewhere after the Basic Set data file. Oh and make sure to tick the Dice Plus checkbox under Tools/Options/Program Options.

This is the Dice Plus I personally use. It converts +3 into +1d-1 and +6 into +2d-1. If you remove the line for converting the +6 it'll instead convert it into +1d+2 automatically instead.

Code:
************************************************************************************************************************
[ConvertDice]
************************************************************************************************************************
* Convert damage bonus into extra dice
* Starting this section will clear any existing
* convert dice items
* break()	  'if the bonus is this Value or more ...
* adddice()	'... add this Value to the damage dice ...
* subtract()  '... then subtract this amount from the bonus
* you need to start with the biggest break you want to deal with,
* and work down to the smallest, because GCA doesn't sort these either

** Converts +7 into +2d
break(7),adddice(2),subtract(7)

** Converts +6 into +2d-1
break(6),adddice(2),subtract(7)

** Converts +5 into +1d+1
break(5),adddice(1),subtract(4)

** Converts +4 into +1d
break(4),adddice(1),subtract(4)

** Converts +3 into +1d-1
break(3),adddice(1),subtract(4)
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
This is fully explained in the Basic Set data file under the [ConvertDice] heading.
Oh, brother! Sorry to be such a pain. This is one of those things I've just never gotten to; didn't it used to be it's own Variant file?? I remember reading it before and I don't recall it being so conveniently explanatory.

Anyway; thanks Eric!
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
ericbsmith

This was never in any official variant file. I have it in my 4eAddOn file on my homepage, but that file institutes many other optional rules from my homepage as well. That file was meant more as a coding example than for universal usage.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
oma

I'm trying to check GCA on this. I c/p the full text from your post to my houserules file. Then I load the character I want to check. He has ST14 which is thr 1d sw 2d. Weapon master (Cestus/Boxing) with a skill of 18. So he should get +2 dmg from the boxing skill right? And then +2 from Weapon Master. so with his Cestus using this variant rule shouldn't he do 1d+4=2d-1? The GCA file for the character says 2d+2. I would post the GCA file but I am not allowed.

Any ideas would be great.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Cestus, Martial Arts p. 214, 216

It is listed as using Brawling, Karate, or DX. Which means it only receives a damage bonus from Brawling or Karate by default. If you want it to receive a damage bonus from Boxing you'd have to add the modifier Variant: Damage Bonus (Per die) at the appropriate level, as well edit the Cestus to change the skillused to include Boxing.

I'd also never allow a Weapon Master damage bonus on it; it is essentially a Glove/Gauntlet. The damage bonus already comes from the underlying skill; applying Weapon Master on top is double-dipping IMO.

As for why the damage bonus is listing the way it is, I have no idea. Even Karate damage bonus + Weapon Master Damage Bonus + ST 14 shouldn't add up to 2d+2 damage. I suspect you've got some other oddball modifiers or modified damage or modified equipment.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-07-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
oma

Okay, I gave bad info. The PC has Striking ST +4 so it's a ST 18 basically which is thr 1d+2, which for punching would be 1d+1 except that he uses Cestus which puts it back to 1d+2, then he gets the +2 for having a high boxing skill and the +2 for Weapon master which makes it 2d+2 cr. Does that sound like the right math for the normal dice +adds? I know it's not according to the modified, so I must have copy/pasted incorrectly into my file.

Also, a related question. Should the Weapon Master NOT stack with the boxing skill? Weapon master adds the +2 to underlying skill if the level is DX+2. It just so happens that Boxing has the same kind of bonuses. Am I interpreting things wrong? I am viewing the boxing and the cestus as the same class of weapon. Either way I am giving the weapon master dmg bonus. Is it not normal to include the boxing adds as well?
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Okay, I gave bad info. The PC has Striking ST +4 so it's a ST 18 basically which is thr 1d+2, which for punching would be 1d+1 except that he uses Cestus which puts it back to 1d+2, then he gets the +2 for having a high boxing skill and the +2 for Weapon master which makes it 2d+2 cr. Does that sound like the right math for the normal dice +adds? I know it's not according to the modified, so I must have copy/pasted incorrectly into my file.
Final damage would be 1d+2+2+2, or 1d+6. In the normal Dice + Add rules this converts to 2d+2. In the modified version I posted this would convert to 3d-1. If you are trying to apply this to an existing character you will need to Resynchronize the Damage Breaks to bring the character up to date with the data files you're loading (Tools -> Resynchronize).

Quote:
Also, a related question. Should the Weapon Master NOT stack with the boxing skill? Weapon master adds the +2 to underlying skill if the level is DX+2. It just so happens that Boxing has the same kind of bonuses. Am I interpreting things wrong? I am viewing the boxing and the cestus as the same class of weapon. Either way I am giving the weapon master dmg bonus. Is it not normal to include the boxing adds as well?
I don't think the rules technically forbid it, but there's no way I would allow you to get a Weapon Master damage bonus and a Brawling/Boxing/Karate damage bonus. You're already getting a damage bonus from the unarmed combat skill, you shouldn't get another from Weapon Master, that would be double dipping. If you wish you can run this by others in the GURPS Forum, but I suspect the consensus would agree with my interpretation.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-07-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
PK

Quote:
Also, a related question. Should the Weapon Master NOT stack with the boxing skill?
No, it shouldn't.

Bonuses for high skill don't stack. If you're getting +2/die damage due to high skill because the skill description says so (e.g., Boxing, Karate), and you're getting +2/die to damage due to high skill because you have an advantage that says so (e.g., Weapon Master), you can apply one of those damage bonuses, not both.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
Boge

Old thread, I know.

How do I get this to work? How do I create a data file?

Can you do a step by step explanation on how to set this up?

I copied everything into a txt file and renamed it to .gdf. I loaded it up after all the other data files. I resynced my character, but it doesn't change 1d+5 to 2d+1. It changes it to 1d+3. It just drops everything over 3 down to 3.

Last edited by Boge; 04-01-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifying dice + adds