Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #21
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Megalomaniac heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I feel like given the reaction penalty that applies to many (most?) people, a certain amount of raving is required. I actually wasn't sure that TV!Homelander from The Boys had Megalomania until I re-watched this scene. That sort of thing seems like a good fit for the game mechanic where the trait attracts some people and repels others.
Yes that is what I meant. The Public Spirit in Marshal is no different. He has accolades, statues in his honour, media readily indulge him, he is adored by millions of fans and the US state see him as 'America's greatest hero'. The Public Spirit sees himself as the embodiment of the USA... "Stand Tall America".
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If you want megalomaniac heroes, girl genius is a great place to look though.

It might be a temporary disadvantage on Quick Gadeteer, rather than the disadvantage outright.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #23
Inky

Hey, yes, I never thought of that, I've been trying to think how you'd do a Spark that's recognisably like a Spark in GURPS and not been sure how to do it, but Temporary Disadvantage would be perfect for a lot of it. (They're weird all the time, of course, but for the whole berserker tendency it would work.) I wonder if that's how the book will end up doing it?
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 AM   #24
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
I was wondering who'd mention Girl Genius. I haven't read the new GURPS Girl Genius rules. If anyone here has, do they make use of Megalomania, or do they do something more detailed?
Girl Genius is actually a great example of heroes with Megalomania, except that the trait only appears when a character loses his self-control and gets particularly "Sparky."

I haven't seen the GURPS: GG rules but I could easily see them describing Megalomania as a controllable disad, with self-control rolls needed anytime you get near particularly interesting "mad science" or are in a position to gain or exercise power. It's usually linked to Obsession (Mad Science), OPH (Insane Cackling, Gloating, etc.), and Unnatural Feature (Chilling Voice).

Certain advantages might only be available when under the influence of Megalomania, like Charisma, Fearless, Gadgeteer, or Talent, making it especially tempting for characters to succumb to their Spark.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #25
Celjabba

In the web comic "A miracle of Science", megalomania is a clear symptom of the Science-Related Memetic Disorder (mad science disease).
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #26
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
In the web comic "A miracle of Science", megalomania is a clear symptom of the Science-Related Memetic Disorder (mad science disease).
Good point. GURPS Girl Genius probably would be good to run a campaign in that setting.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #27
qchap

As I can think of in this moment, fiction have Gilgamesh (either from mythology or from Fate), he is a hero in some point of view. And... Rance? :)

I've also been a GM in a game with a megalomaniac character, and fortunately he had no godlike powers, nor status/reach. But was building it through the game. It was a hard character to have in a game (and, I beleive, hard to play either), but interesting indeed.

Also, not GURPS, but in VtM I've been plaing a cunning Caitiff, who, at first, just wanted some status. But throughout the game he became a diablerist and gained megalomania. It was really interesting to play, in such a dark game it's not such a strange character.
qchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #28
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Certain advantages might only be available when under the influence of Megalomania, like Charisma, Fearless, Gadgeteer, or Talent, making it especially tempting for characters to succumb to their Spark.
I think I might allow regular Gadgeteer outside of a Spark-fugue/Megalomania incident, but Quick Gadgeteer should definitely require it for most or all Sparks.

EDIT: Magery (or Path/Book Adept, where appropriate) with Temporary Disadvantage: Megalomania could also be pretty interesting.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote