Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Eddie T

Default Skill-based Damage Stacking?

Does damage from combat skills stack? For example, Karate at DX+1 gives a bonus of 2 points of damage and Brawling at DX+2 gives a +1. Does that character get +3?
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Skill-based Damage Stacking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
Does damage from combat skills stack? For example, Karate at DX+1 gives a bonus of 2 points of damage and Brawling at DX+2 gives a +1. Does that character get +3?
No. The attacker just gets the skill bonus for the skill they are using. Karate and Brawling are not the same skill.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Eddie T

Thanks! That's what I was hoping the answer would be.
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Refplace

Nope.
Cant find a cite in Basic, though its strongly implied based on use of skill but I did more specific and bullet resistant mentions in Martial Arts.
P. 55 under Boxing says it does not stack and same under Karate on p. 57.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Anaraxes

You don't really need a specific cite to say that the bonuses don't stack, because it's not possible to use them both at the same time. Karate doesn't grant some always-on +1 to any and all damage just because you happen to know Karate. It means that when you attack using the Karate skill, you do a little more damage than you'd get with the usual ST-based thrusting damage. Same with Brawling -- it applies when you attack with Brawling. Any given attack isn't rolled against both skills at the same time, so there's no way for both bonuses to apply the a single damage roll.

A multi-skilled fighter doing some sort of razzle-dazzle with Extra Attacks could conceivably rolling different attacks using different skills in the same turn. But the bonuses still can't stack, because each individual attack is carried out with one specific skill.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
You don't really need a specific cite to say that the bonuses don't stack, because it's not possible to use them both at the same time.
Some people prefer citations and some, especially rules lawyers wont accept anything less than a full cite if it disagrees with their goal. I had no idea which the author was plus I try to reply for those reading, not just the op posting the question. So I stand by my efforts to usually try and find a cite when I have the time and books available. Also helps me to insure I am reading or remembering the rules correctly.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Some people prefer citations and some, especially rules lawyers wont accept anything less than a full cite if it disagrees with their goal.
RAW seems pretty clear to me:

Quote:
... add +1 per die to basic thrust damage when you calculate damage with Karate attacks
Brawling attacks are not Karate attacks.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote