Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Sorenant

Default Feeding a Water Elemental

I just noticed Water Elementals are the only type of Elementals that doesn't have the "Doesn't Eat or Drink" trait. It's like this both in Magic and DF9 so I doubt it's an errata, but then why is that? Is there some particular reason to why Water Elementals needs to eat and drink?

Edit: It's not as odd as the above, but I've also felt weird that Water Elementals comes with Chameleon while Air Elementals doesn't, and Slippery feels partially redundant with Diffuse (MA115 says Diffuse makes you immune to grapples).

Last edited by Sorenant; 05-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Feeding a Water Elemental

Despite being copied, it's likely still an errata, though the incorrect ones are arguably the other elementals; I would argue that:
  • air elementals should not eat, but should breathe.
  • earth elementals should neither eat nor breathe.
  • fire elementals should both eat and breathe (though their food is flammable materials), but should not drink. I'm not impressed by the Oxygen Combustion limitation on doesn't breathe; all it gives you is immunity to choking and strangulation (moot for diffuse creatures) and inhaled toxins (moot with immunity to metabolic hazards).
  • water elementals should drink.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Despite being copied, it's likely still an errata, though the incorrect ones are arguably the other elementals; I would argue that:
  • fire elementals should both eat and breathe (though their food is flammable materials), but should not drink. I'm not impressed by the Oxygen Combustion limitation on doesn't breathe; all it gives you is immunity to choking and strangulation (moot for diffuse creatures) and inhaled toxins (moot with immunity to metabolic hazards).
I never thought about the topic, but that all makes sense; I like it!

Earth elementals get away a bit easy here. I agree with no eat/drink/breathe, but I could see them having a contact with the earth as a "sustenance" need (such that an elemental caged, or floating in space, etc. for a long period would "starve" from lack of that contact). Just a passing thought.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Dalillama

That sounds more like a minor Dependency, probably quirk-level due to the constant availability of ground anyplace you find an Earth Elemental and the considerable difficulty involved in getting one loose from the ground to start with.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
That sounds more like a minor Dependency, probably quirk-level due to the constant availability of ground anyplace you find an Earth Elemental and the considerable difficulty involved in getting one loose from the ground to start with.
Yeah, a minor or trivial Dependency may be the right way to do it. (Alternately, a GM could rule that earth elementals do require food – the food just happens to be rocks and minerals.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #6
scc

I'd defiantly say this errata stuff, as otherwise Fire Elementals wouldn't be able to move away from their fuel sources, and what would a Water Elemental eat anyway?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:22 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'd defiantly say this errata stuff, as otherwise Fire Elementals wouldn't be able to move away from their fuel sources, and what would a Water Elemental eat anyway?
It implies fire elementals need fuel as often as humans need food, which hardly prevents them from moving quite a substantial distance from their fuel sources.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As magical beings from elemental planes, wouldn't Dependency to Mana make more sense?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I never thought about the topic, but that all makes sense; I like it!

Earth elementals get away a bit easy here. I agree with no eat/drink/breathe, but I could see them having a contact with the earth as a "sustenance" need (such that an elemental caged, or floating in space, etc. for a long period would "starve" from lack of that contact). Just a passing thought.
Needing to eat dirt/stone/etc would be appropriate for an earth elemental. That stuff is pretty abundant and low price, however, so maybe Doesn't Eat or Drink with a -10% Limitation.

I've got a mostly-complete "Concerning Consumption" Overhaul, I may clean that up and post it (main thing it's lacking are foraging rules). Under that, earth elementals would probably have really low-cost food requirements. Water elementals might have fairly high-cost water requirements, if the water they consume needs to be particularly pure.

You could increase the cost of foodstuffs by requiring elementals to consume Essential materials (Essential Fuel for fire elementals).
Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
If it is natural stone or bare earth, staying in urban areas means staying aware of where the parks and green spaces are.

Tags
doesn't eat or drink, elemental, magic, water