Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
Bibiribobiri

Default Kratos' Leviathan Axe (God of War)

Hello go(o)d folk of Gurps pantheon.

I wanted to create a character that was able to throw an axe (using regular trowing axe skill) but could then "will it back" to their hand similar to what is done by Kratos in the 2018's God of War videogame.

Would be great if the axe also had Very Fine and Balanced qualities. However this can be forgotten if point cost becomes too high.

The char would be a 150-200 points mage specialized in Movement college and also a decent fighter using axe(s). In his off-hand, he might use another "Kratos-like" returning Axe (depending on final point costs of the solution) or a Shield.

Possible ideas:
1) Loyal Sword Enchantment plus Signature Equipment (Axe).
This would do the trick perfectly! However, the financial cost (and thus point cost) would probably be absurd.

2) Cornucopia Enchantment plus Signature Equipment (Axe "holster").
Not sure if even possible and if the cost would also be prohibitive. Idea here would be to create expendable copies of axes of a given kind.

3) Telekinesis Advantage plus Signature Equipment (Axe).
In this case the Telekinesis could have some limitations to make it just work with the signature axe, thus reducing cost.

4) 'To be Defined' spell.
Not sure if there is a spell to do this fast and easy (apportation and levitation are too slow and would suffer range penalties).

5) Distant Blow spell.
Does not do exactly the intended effect but could be a compromising solution. However, don't know very well how it works (explanation in the book is somewhat confusing). Seems like range penalties for casting would make it very hard to use unless the target is somewhat close, which kind of defeats the purpose of it anyway.

6) ???

Any thoughs on how to do this?

[HR] Tactical Combat Overhaul: house rules for adding depth to attack speed mechanics
Bibiribobiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Ejidoth

Default Re: Kratos' Leviathan Axe (God of War)

I believe there is a Returning Weapon Imbuement back in Pyramid 3/13, if you have access to that plus Power-Ups 1. If that's the only Imbuement you want, you can take Limited Skill Access and get Imbue 2 for a mere 4 points, plus the points invested in the Returning Weapon skill.

If you want something like Kratos has where you can call it back to hand basically at will, a build like this might work:

Telekinesis (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Increased Range, Line of Sight, +70%; Magic, -10%) [1/level] might be a good build if you want to do that, although keep in mind that it probably takes one round to 'pick up' the object with telekinesis, and then an additional concentration action each round as a it flies (Telekinesis) yards per second toward your hand.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 08-05-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
zoncxs

Quote:
Balanced (+4CF) Very Fine (+49CF) Dwarven(+4CF) Throwing Axe Of Returning(+60k), $63480, 4lbs
sw+4 cut, Reach 1, Parry 0, ST 11
‑2 to odds of breakage
This would cost 127 points. Most of that from the enchantment.

Next!

Quote:
Imbue 2 (One skill only, -80%) [4] + Unusual Training [1] + Returning Weapon (Thrown Axe) DX+0 [8]

=

Returning Weapon (Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Visible, ‑10%; PM, -10%; One Specific Weapon(axe), -80%) [16]

This makes your imbued axe return to you. It can either fly straight to you, or dematerialize and reform in your possession. The thrown axe appear directly in your hands.

+

Balanced (+4CF) Very Fine (+49CF) Dwarven(+4CF) Throwing Axe , $3480, 4lbs
sw+4 cut, Reach 1, Parry 0, ST 11
‑2 to odds of breakage

costs 7 points as a sig gear.
So the second option costs a total of 23 points.

Last edited by zoncxs; 08-05-2020 at 10:00 PM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
awesomenessofme1

For my Thor build for Nerfed Marvel, I did it the Telekinesis way. TK with Attraction Only, -60%, One Object Only (which I pegged at -80%) and whatever level of Increased Range you want will do the trick.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:28 AM   #5
Balor Patch

Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard p.11 includes Marvelous Throw [9, 18, or 25 points] that does this.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
Bibiribobiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
If you want something like Kratos has where you can call it back to hand basically at will, a build like this might work:

Telekinesis (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Increased Range, Line of Sight, +70%; Magic, -10%) [1/level] might be a good build if you want to do that, although keep in mind that it probably takes one round to 'pick up' the object with telekinesis, and then an additional concentration action each round as a it flies (Telekinesis) yards per second toward your hand.
Could TK be upgraded to include Homing to avoid need for concentration and/or to have Reduced Time to decrease the number of maneuvers needed?

[HR] Tactical Combat Overhaul: house rules for adding depth to attack speed mechanics
Old 08-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiribobiri View Post
Could TK be upgraded to include Homing to avoid need for concentration and/or to have Reduced Time to decrease the number of maneuvers needed?
What you're looking for is Independent (PU4:15) +40%, which will let you make a single Concentrate maneuver to start the weapon returning, then be able to act normally until it arrives. In this particular case, I think I'd be willing to allow Takes Less Time +20% to avoid the initial Concentration maneuver, although I wouldn't normally allow that for Telekinesis. You probably still need to take a Ready to catch and prepare the weapon once it reaches you, although I'd be willing to let you take a Perk to avoid that.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Bibiribobiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
What you're looking for is Independent (PU4:15) +40%, which will let you make a single Concentrate maneuver to start the weapon returning, then be able to act normally until it arrives. In this particular case, I think I'd be willing to allow Takes Less Time +20% to avoid the initial Concentration maneuver, although I wouldn't normally allow that for Telekinesis. You probably still need to take a Ready to catch and prepare the weapon once it reaches you, although I'd be willing to let you take a Perk to avoid that.
So it could be something like:

Telekinesis (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Independent, +40%; Reduced Time, 1x, +20%; Increased Range, 2x, +10%; Magic, -10%) [1/level]: Can pull the axe up to 20 yards after just one concentration maneuver (and it will come in a speed dependent on level).

Old 08-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard p.11 includes Marvelous Throw [9, 18, or 25 points] that does this.
This is what I was going to post as well. It’s a very elegant solution for a common trope of a returning weapon.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiribobiri View Post
So it could be something like:

Telekinesis (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Independent, +40%; Reduced Time, 1x, +20%; Increased Range, 2x, +10%; Magic, -10%) [1/level]: Can pull the axe up to 20 yards after just one concentration maneuver (and it will come in a speed dependent on level).
With Reduced Time, you don't even need the Concentration maneuver - you can summon your weapon as a free action, and it takes (Distance)/(TK level) seconds to reach you, at which point you need to take a Ready to catch it and prepare it for fighting (as I mentioned before, I'd be comfortable with a Perk to allow you to avoid the Ready). If you still want to require an initial Concentration, drop Reduced Time, which is enough for 2 more levels of Increased Range, allowing you to bring it to you from up to 100 yards away.

Also, once the TK's Basic Lift is enough that the weapon would count as No Encumbrance, you could toss on Move Only -40%. So, for example, if we treat the Leviathan Axe as a Throwing Axe (4 lb), we could buy it as TK 5 (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Independent, +40%; Reduced Time, 1x, +20%; Increased Range, 50x, +50%; Magic, -10%) [15] + TK 15 (Accessibility, One specific object, -80%; Attraction, -60%; Independent, +40%; Move Only -40%, Reduced Time, 1x, +20%; Increased Range, 50x, +50%; Magic, -10%) [15]. This lets the character summon the weapon from up to 500 yards away with but a thought, and it travels to his/her hand at Move 20. The disadvantage would be that it's easier for someone else to keep out of your grasp, as with only effective ST 5 (thus BL 5), it slows markedly as the weight attached to it goes up, and most foes will readily win a contest of ST vs TK to keep hold of it.

Tags
character creation, magic, power