Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Mirtai

Default Blocking with Large objects

OK, got a question for the crowd.

Let's say a character has super human strength, or perhaps a high level of TK.

They've got hold of something big... say a full sized couch, or a car. And someone shoots at them.

Can they use the couch (or car) to block the bullets with? Would that use the Shield skill? Would a car give a defense bonus?

In general... how would blocking with something bigger than yourself work, assuming you had the power to move something like that as easily as a regular person uses a shield?
Mirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Blocking with Large objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtai View Post
OK, got a question for the crowd.

<snip>

Can they use the couch (or car) to block the bullets with? Would that use the Shield skill? Would a car give a defense bonus?

In general... how would blocking with something bigger than yourself work, assuming you had the power to move something like that as easily as a regular person uses a shield?
It depends.

In general, if it's being used close enough to be bigger than you and you only have ordinary senses, you can't see over it/through it to be able to Block with it. Instead count its HP and DR as cover.

If you're using it at a distance where you can see to Block with it, then it should be usable as a shield and should get a defense bonus, but does not count as cover.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

Also, on a realism note (which tends to politely ignore what's happening in universes with superpowers), car doors and couches are ineffective in blocking almost any bullet.

Armoured car doors can block some bullets; "bulletproof" is the calibre of bullet that armour will block.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
Mirtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Also, on a realism note (which tends to politely ignore what's happening in universes with superpowers), car doors and couches are ineffective in blocking almost any bullet.

Armoured car doors can block some bullets; "bulletproof" is the calibre of bullet that armour will block.
Well, entire cars would block bullets a bit better than just the door, especially the engine block. I'd assume. That said, regular shields aren't bulletproof either. Unless you've got Captain America's shield (which would be an indestructible gadget). But you do subtract their DR from a damage the bullets do when you use one to block.

A big couch would probably suck up most of the damage from small caliber ammo, anyway. I would think.

Last edited by Mirtai; 08-04-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Mirtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It depends.

In general, if it's being used close enough to be bigger than you and you only have ordinary senses, you can't see over it/through it to be able to Block with it. Instead count its HP and DR as cover.

If you're using it at a distance where you can see to Block with it, then it should be usable as a shield and should get a defense bonus, but does not count as cover.
Yeah, but how do you figure out the defense bonus for a car, if your telekinetic is using it as a shield?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Tinman

Quote:
Yeah, but how do you figure out the defense bonus for a car, if your telekinetic is using it as a shield?
I wouldn't.
If a TK was able to wield a car as a shield, I wouldn't use the shield mechanics. I'd use the Cover & Overpenetration rules (BB p.407-408).
Effectively it's mobile cover not a shield.

As a side note by RAW one can't use a shield to block bullets (BB p.375), However, there is an optional rule that does let shield users use them as cover. (Can't find the page) The shield takes damage as appropriate, but no DB.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post

Actually, it's been shown that pistol caliber rounds can & often are stopped by car doors.

However, you are 100% correct that rifle, shotgun & carbine (even pistol caliber carbine) rounds will go right through every part of a car except the engine block.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Actually, it's been shown that pistol caliber rounds can & often are stopped by car doors.

However, you are 100% correct that rifle, shotgun & carbine (even pistol caliber carbine) rounds will go right through every part of a car except the engine block.
I would guess that's the 9mm and .22 range of pistol calibres?

...yeah, remembering Demolition Range (youtube) gun test videos, a steel car door sounds about right to block 9mm and .22 pistol bullets. Maybe .32 as well, depending on the weight of car door.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Prince Charon

Quote:
Unless you've got Captain America's shield (which would be an indestructible gadget).
How much is an indestructible shield-gadget worth? I'm not sure GURPS has that as an option (like, you can be virtually indestructible, or you can be insubstantial, but you cannot actually be immune to e.g. kinetic damage that can hit you).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
Mirtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
How much is an indestructible shield-gadget worth? I'm not sure GURPS has that as an option (like, you can be virtually indestructible, or you can be insubstantial, but you cannot actually be immune to e.g. kinetic damage that can hit you).
GURPS does, in fact, have that option. Check pg 78 of GURPS Supers. An indestructible shield with a DB of 2 would cost 42 points.