Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Uncapped weapon ST

Very simple question: Is there anywhere in a book that talks about raising or removing the usual 3xMinST maximum level of ST usable for a weapon? If not, I'll just call it a houserule, but I'd prefer something with actual backing if possible.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Uncapped weapon ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Very simple question: Is there anywhere in a book that talks about raising or removing the usual 3xMinST maximum level of ST usable for a weapon? If not, I'll just call it a houserule, but I'd prefer something with actual backing if possible.
"The Broken Blade" (Pyramid #3/87) explicitly removes the 3xMinST rule, replacing it with a chance of the weapon being damaged/broken if it lands too strong of a blow. I'm unaware of anywhere else that gives such an option.

One potential issue is that, by removing the cap, you can have an issue where Superman can sever one of Godzilla's legs with a single strike from an indestructible pocket knife. You may want to come up with some sort of damage cap based on the weapon's dimensions, although that's difficult to properly judge.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
"The Broken Blade" (Pyramid #3/87) explicitly removes the 3xMinST rule, replacing it with a chance of the weapon being damaged/broken if it lands too strong of a blow. I'm unaware of anywhere else that gives such an option.

One potential issue is that, by removing the cap, you can have an issue where Superman can sever one of Godzilla's legs with a single strike from an indestructible pocket knife. You may want to come up with some sort of damage cap based on the weapon's dimensions, although that's difficult to properly judge.
Looks a bit too complicated for the kind of game I was thinking about. Do you think it would cause any problems just raising the cap to 4x or 5xST?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Rupert

That depends on why you're doing it, and what sort of campaign it is. It'll make those with super-human strength really scary using slings, for example. This probably doesn't matter in a TL6+ game where rifles are common, but might mess things up a bit in a TL3 game.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Looks a bit too complicated for the kind of game I was thinking about. Do you think it would cause any problems just raising the cap to 4x or 5xST?
It is my House Rule that the cap is 2x for Cheap weapons, 3x for merely good, 4x for Fine and 5x for Very Fine (and I suppose 6x for Super Fine and a general +1x for Shatterproof Enchantment) w/a HT roll for breakage if exceeded.

Count AOA(Strong) as +4 ST and ordinary humans can break small kitchen knives in domestic disputes. This actually seems to happen fairly often in the crime news.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
khorboth

I have allowed, for a small price increase, allowed "heavy" versions of weapons. These have 10% increased weight & cost for each point of increased minimum ST. I haven't done much with this, so there may be balance issues somewhere. I did have a super-strong vampire create a sword using these rules (and exotic materials) heavy enough that most mortals couldn't parry it. Since his ST was 48, this was not unreasonable (or maybe in-genre unreasonable).

I believe this is non-cannon.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Imbicatus

Fantasy Tech 2 has rules for Full Metal weapons, Giant Swords, and Multibladed weapons that all have the side effect of raising the minimum ST of the weapon, and therefore the cap.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Fantasy Tech 2 has rules for Full Metal weapons, Giant Swords, and Multibladed weapons that all have the side effect of raising the minimum ST of the weapon, and therefore the cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I have allowed, for a small price increase, allowed "heavy" versions of weapons. These have 10% increased weight & cost for each point of increased minimum ST. I haven't done much with this, so there may be balance issues somewhere. I did have a super-strong vampire create a sword using these rules (and exotic materials) heavy enough that most mortals couldn't parry it. Since his ST was 48, this was not unreasonable (or maybe in-genre unreasonable).

I believe this is non-cannon.
Should have been a little more clear, but these response aren't really what the point of the thread is about. If I were looking for ways to increased a weapon's MinST, I would have asked about that. The reason I started the thread was the issue of Super-ST with weapons. It's very difficult to construct a character where they can use a weapon to the full extent of their Super-ST while also being able to use it at all with their normal ST if you're using the 3xST cap.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #9
khorboth

Quote:
Should have been a little more clear, but these response aren't really what the point of the thread is about. If I were looking for ways to increased a weapon's MinST, I would have asked about that. The reason I started the thread was the issue of Super-ST with weapons. It's very difficult to construct a character where they can use a weapon to the full extent of their Super-ST while also being able to use it at all with their normal ST if you're using the 3xST cap.
Oh. I think I understand.

I've seen a few ways to write up st-enhanced attacks as advantages to reflect supers with weapons. I've never found them satisfying.

In a supers game, I'd probably let "super strength works with weapons" be a perk. It's just not that powerful.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Should have been a little more clear, but these response aren't really what the point of the thread is about. If I were looking for ways to increased a weapon's MinST, I would have asked about that. The reason I started the thread was the issue of Super-ST with weapons. .
Ah, there s a canon way to do that but it involves using CP to buy your "weapon" as a Power. However, the details might be in thaumatology rather than Powers.