Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #151
Proteus

Default Re: The 2013 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Do we know what's going to be in it?
Earlier someone was talking about an article on high-tech materials for low-tech armor. I don't know if it will appear or not; but I suspect the issue will be a good one, whatever appears.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #152
DanHoward

That sort of material could be covered in a few hundred words but High-Tech has already done it for the armour in Basic Set.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #153
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Do we know what's going to be in it?
Per a recent rev_pee_kitty tweet: "Next week, fans of armor, old-school guns, combat options, or realistic locations and settings are going to be happy campers indeed."

EDIT: Ghostdancer, you really guess Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor will make it out of the chute before either Martial Arts: Technical Grappling or Locations: St. George's Cathedral?

Last edited by Proteus; 02-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #154
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Ghostdancer, you really guess Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor will make it out of the chute before either Martial Arts: Technical Grappling or Locations: St. George's Cathedral?
Well, High-Tech: Adventure Guns would seem to be another possibility from that tweet.

Looking at the future of e23 leads to a larger question: what will happen when SJG has released all the practical items from the backlist? Producing three standalone GURPS items per month doesn't seem plausible, since the market probably won't buy enough copies.

No doubt they have thought about this, and I wonder if they have said anything?

Last edited by johndallman; 02-17-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #155
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Well, High-Tech: Adventure Guns would seem to be another possibility from that tweet.
Oh, I wasn't considering the tweet, which I figure pertains solely to Pyramid.

I was just going off of Kromm's commentary (Krommentary?) about what is in "final states of production" as opposed to "preliminary PDF". Without knowing for sure, for example, I'd assume that a "preliminary PDF" might have blank placeholders instead of art, serving merely to provide a final check of wording and textual layout. If the pipeline is configured that way, then part of "production" involves contracting, receiving, approving, and placing said art -- and that is EXACTLY the part of the process that we've told has been stopped up by attention to OGRE.

Quote:
Looking at the future of e23 leads to a larger question: what will happen when SJG has released all the practical items from the backlist? Producing three standalone GURPS items per month doesn't seem plausible, since the market probably won't buy enough copies.
No-one's said they have to release something every week, and e23 certainly has plenty of other weekly releases from non-SJG product lines. I'd guess (and hope!) they'd just move to a schedule of roughly one new GURPS release per month, alongside Pyramid, though schedules and the work cycle might occasionally mean (as we've seen lately) that the magazine issue is the only release for a month.

EDIT: Unless, of course, the tweet means that we'll see a massive dump all at once of Pyramid, Low-Tech Armor, Adventure Guns, Technical Grappling, AND St. George's Cathedral. Prepare your wallets, just in case....

Last edited by Proteus; 02-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #156
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Per a recent rev_pee_kitty tweet: "Next week, fans of armor, old-school guns, combat options, or realistic locations and settings are going to be happy campers indeed."

EDIT: Ghostdancer, you really guess Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor will make it out of the chute before either Martial Arts: Technical Grappling or Locations: St. George's Cathedral?
Yeah I'm kinda figuring it. In my dark place I'm pretty sure we won't get any GURPS releases for a while. But here's hoping.

Note: Unlike SCAR and JP my e23 spec thread is more like "Here's the info have your own guess" vs. "This is my guess". Basically make a informed decision with the info I send your way. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #157
RogerBW

Quote:
Without knowing for sure, for example, I'd assume that a "preliminary PDF" might have blank placeholders instead of art, serving merely to provide a final check of wording and textual layout.
Basically, yes, at least going by my own experience. Text (including tables) has been laid out and flowed round the blank spaces where art and pullquotes will go. Text can be changed at this point, but it's a pain to do so.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #158
Christopher R. Rice

I'm also thinking they may not get much 'new' art. The less new art a book has the quicker the probable release. Hell - It's probably wishful thinking I could really use that book right now in my own campaigns. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #159
dbm

This week's release is out: Pyramid 3/52: Low Tech 2
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #160
Proteus

Quote:
Referring, it turns out, purely to Pyramid articles rather than to the larger-scale PDFs on similar topics.

So we got "Concealed Armor" by Dan Howard, instead of his Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor title.

And "The Puckle Gun" rather than Adventure Guns.

And "Delayed Gratification" by Douglas Cole (?), in place of his Technical Grappling.

And "Lord of the Manor" to sate us rather than St. George's Cathedral.

Well played, RPK. :)
Closed Thread

Tags
2013, e23, speculation