Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
KDLadage

Default Some licensed properties I would like to see SJG get for GURPS (but they won't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCLAIMER
The reason I say that I know that SJG will not get these licenses is not because I am questioning their judgement. Quite the opposite. I know that these licenses would have such nitch audiences that they could not be profitable. But they are of interest to me, so I would love to see it.... but I have relegated these to pipe-dreams for the above mentioned reasons.
GURPS: The 4400 -- this would make for a cool, modern relatively low-power psionics campaign with a lot of interesting socio-political ramifications. The occational uber-powered 4400 can be introduced (such as Lilly's child) to mix things up a bit... and the show is about to enter its third season so the production could coincide with the release of the show making for some fun to be had there.

GURPS: Battlestar Galactica -- the new series is amazing, and I love it. The 90-minute season finale was awesome. I love that they have taken the original (sub-par show) and used it as inspiration, not a blue-print. The new show is grittier, darker, and much, much more human than the original. And this combination, in my opinion, makes for some great Role Playing opportunities. I would love to see this in GURPS. But given that Steve Jackson has Traveller and Trans-Human Space (as well as a plethora of other in-house sci-fi settings such as Reign of Steel) I do not see this as something that is even pursuable, let alone profitable.

GURPS: F.L.A.G. -- The Foundation for Law And Government was the organization that Michael Knight worked for in the old television show Knight Rider. I think a relatively cool RPG setting could be made out of this organization by exploring other operations and operatives that this government agency seems to delve into. After all, here is a government agency that expends untold millions (billions?) of dollars, and employs what is for all intents and purposes, a vigalante to deal with things that fall under the radar of the FBI, NSA, and (I would guess, Department of Homeland Security, unless they would have been absorbed as well) around the country with no apparent source of income other than the government trough. Could be fun in a Charlie's Angels / The A-Team / McGuiver sort of way. Besides... I want stats for K.I.T.T., K.A.R.R., and GOLIATH.

:)

So... what licenses that you know are too small to be profitable do you still think it would be fun for SJG to acquire?
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
sir-talen

Default Re: Some licensed properties I would like to see SJG get for GURPS (but they won't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage
So... what licenses that you know are too small to be profitable do you still think it would be fun for SJG to acquire?
GURPS F.I.R.M: You're working for a super-secret government agency who's deputy director walks around in an ice-cream suit and supports a pair of rogue pilots with a stolen Mach 1+ attack helicopter.

Actually the best way to handle this would be an e23 supplement for G: Vehicles, for vehicle-centric campaigns. From Airwolf and KITT, to Street Hawk, to the SeaView, to Ark 2, it's all about colorful characters and the high-tech machines that they love.

GURPS Heinlein: Strong, smart, and oversexed men and women (New Advantage: Red Head, 5 pts.) bring order to the universe and smack down idiots. More seriously, I'd love to see a supplement creating an amalgamation of the best concepts from RAH's YA novels. (actaully I'm trying to work on that, but the project is stalled out.)

GURPS Starrigger: Based on John DeChancie's trilogy, where truckers drive across the galaxy on a road built by Ancients.

GURPS 1889: An official supplement would be marvelous, but I'm not counting on it.

GURPS Chalion: Based on Lois McMaster-Bujold's fantasy novels. Not unthinkable, but given the legendary delays in printing GURPS Vorkosigan, I'm not holding my breath for her to hand out the license to SJG anytime soon.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Bruno

Default Re: Some licensed properties I would like to see SJG get for GURPS (but they won't)

One for the "yet another gritty sci-fi setting in a portfolio cluttered with gritty sci-fi settings", but I'd love DEARLY to see, would be GURPS Compact Space, based on the Pride of Chanur and sequals by C. J. Cherryh. Focusing on the Compact side of her universe, after the events of the series, so that players can even choose to play male Hani or humans of either gender with a certain amount of plausability.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
nnnnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen
GURPS Heinlein: Strong, smart, and oversexed men and women (New Advantage: Red Head, 5 pts.)
Damn you made me laugh out loud. That was brilliant and so true about Heinlein.

nnnnn
nnnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Ed the Coastie

My choice would be GURPS Land of the Giants. I've played around with the setting a bit by adapting some stuff from Bunnies & Burrows...but I would much rather read/play the setting than write/create it.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

GURPS Cynosure.

'nuff said.

Edit: Unless you don't know what the setting is. In which case it would require explanation. So enough wouldn't have been said. Y'know.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!

Last edited by Turhan's Bey Company; 03-15-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
DrTemp

The Lord of The Rings, actually. I would not play it, but I would buy it.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
MIB 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
If Peter Jackson every gets cleared to make The Hobbit, there might even be a license available.

SJG's strategy toward GURPS seems to be at least orthagonal to the idea of licensed settings, though. The toolbox approach seems intended to allow GMs to adapt material themselves, leaving little to be included in a setting book. That's not to say that a license is useless (it could still raise the visibility of GURPS and pay for more of Evil Stevie's toys), but that it would have to be aimed at new players, rather than experienced GURPSers - making PbG the obvious approach. Something like Redwall, that might attract a new market segment, would make the most sense.
MIB 1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Mercator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
ICE published some very good supplements with a lot of rules-free material for their Middle Earth Role Playing game, so this one shouldn't be too hard to do. Some day I'd like to use GURPS to play a game in the early-to-middle Third Age, exploring the ruins of Arnor with the threat of the Witch-King of Angmar in the background. Ah, well...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
KDLadage

Another one I would like:

GURPS: Sid and Marty Kroft -- no, not just H. R. Puffinstuff. I would like to see a pseudo-GURPS Lite (say: GURPS for Children) that would allow for Role Playing with the Buggaloos, Dr. Shrinker, Eletra-Woman and Dyna-Girl, Wonderbug, Sigmund and the Seamonsters, Land of the Lost, and so on and so forth. I think my son and I could have a hoot once he hits 5 or 6 years old with something like that!
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote