Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
xlyce

Default New to DFRPG

I have GURPS and played it a long time, but have drifted away from the RPG world, but picked up DFRPG and wandered over to Warehouse 23 and saw a metric tonne of supplements, all predating the boxed set, so... which ones are compatible with DFRPG and which ones are not?

TLDR?
Which supplements from Warehouse 23 can I use?
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: New to DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post
I have GURPS and played it a long time, but have drifted away from the RPG world, but picked up DFRPG and wandered over to Warehouse 23 and saw a metric tonne of supplements, all predating the boxed set, so... which ones are compatible with DFRPG and which ones are not?

TLDR?
All of them and none. Sort of.

The DFRPG is a stand-alone game which makes minor tweaks from orthodox GURPS, so everything more or less works but you'll need to make slight adjustments here and there. The DFRPG also already incorporates a lot of material from the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series, so a lot of those books overlap what you'll already have in the DFRPG. Here, though, is a useful guide to which GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books provide new material relative to the DFRPG and which ones don't.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
akfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post

TLDR?
There have been four issues of Pyramid specifically themed to the Dungeon Fantasy boxed set version of the rules: 98, 104, 106, 108. These should all be entirely compatible by default.

In addition the Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected is pretty cool and has a lot of various material which, even though it predates the boxed set, should be easily usable.

The only issues you might have with the later and the other various "Dungeon Fantasy ##" pdfs is that because they were written before the boxed set they assume GURPS supplements rather than the boxed set. For example, there might be some spells that are not in DF but are rather in GURPS: Magic instead. But with a little squinting at times they're almost all usable to some degree.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
xlyce

Thanks!

I picked up a couple of PDFs, (Taverns and the Adventure).

That URL you gave me was a lot of help!
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
tbone

What they said, above.

I'll add the reassurance that core stuff is truly identical for DFRPG and GURPS. That is, you won't find DFRPG introducing a new method for resolving combat attacks, or rebuilding the magic system, or reworking the costs of key character traits. You can dip into GURPS willy-nilly to spice up your DFRP with skill techniques, new powers, or combat options. Or – should you want – rapid-fire electromag gauss rifles. It'll all fit together just fine.

The "difference" of DFRPG is mainly just leaving out a lot of GURPS stuff, for reasons of genre or simplicity. Without making changes that would prevent you from bringing that GURPS stuff right back in.

Actual differences truly are small stuff: details of some spells that need tweaking for the genre, suggested handling of some niche tasks for genre reasons, etc. Stuff that's simple to reconcile.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

There is a blog going through the supplements and Pyramid articles, summarizing how well each works with the boxed set. Don't know the address, sorry.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
There is a blog going through the supplements and Pyramid articles, summarizing how well each works with the boxed set. Don't know the address, sorry.
Pseudonym's "Let's GURPS" probably, and linked by Matt upthread.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote