Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
OldSam

Default Re: Good Handwriting: A Perk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
What minor benefit would it convey?
Of course one aspect is a reaction bonus from teachers... =)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
whswhs

You probably should review the "can you read it" passage on p. 34 of LTC1, which Kromm already alluded to. It provides detailed rules for legibility of ordinary writing. Kromm's suggestion for a perk doesn't work badly in that context.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
pawsplay

I think this is basically One Task Wonder (Calligraphy), where the task is producing ordinary but high-quality handwriting.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
RobKamm

The problem with One-Task Wonder for this is that OTW is usually phrased as OTW (Skill; Circumstance). It allows the use of the skill at attribute (in this case IQ) but no restricted use is included. I don't think OTW (Calligraphy; when writing in my own language) constitutes a real limitation on the skill. Even OTW (Calligraphy; Uncial Hand) seems a stretch to me, but YMMV.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
The problem with One-Task Wonder for this is that OTW is usually phrased as OTW (Skill; Circumstance). It allows the use of the skill at attribute (in this case IQ) but no restricted use is included. I don't think OTW (Calligraphy; when writing in my own language) constitutes a real limitation on the skill. Even OTW (Calligraphy; Uncial Hand) seems a stretch to me, but YMMV.
Calligraphy isn't normally used to simply write attractive thank-you notes. And this would explain why you don't have a good default for other Artist specialties.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #16
Astromancer

Pawsplay is right, Calligraphy is much more than simply nice handwriting.

I'm liking these notes and ideas, thanks folks.

Given my handwriting, the Nice Handwriting perk is nearly as much of a fantasy as Multimillionare or Very Handsome, with Vioce and Charisma +7!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
aesir23

I think there's room for 2 Perks here:

Perfect Handwriting: Your hand writing is perfectly legible and easy to read (mechanics as described by Kromm).

Beautiful Handwriting: + 1 reaction bonus from anyone reading something you've handwritten. This is cumulative with any bonuses from successful use of Calligraphy. If the piece is well-written as well (successful Writing or Poetry roll), increase this bonus to +2.

[EDIT] Although, I can't really see ever spending two points on having really nice handwriting.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

[EDIT] Although, I can't really see ever spending two points on having really nice handwriting.
That's why my proposal combined improved legibility with social benefits in one perk. ;)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That's why my proposal combined improved legibility with social benefits in one perk. ;)
And that you can do that so smoothly is why you're KROMM and the rest of us envy you ;-)

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Calligraphy isn't normally used to simply write attractive thank-you notes. And this would explain why you don't have a good default for other Artist specialties.
The normal use of the skill isn't the point. OTW requires that there be a specific situation where it applies. I would argue that if you can write a nice thank you letter with calligraphy you can write anything with calligraphy because you know how to draw the letters. So OTW (Calligraphy; when writing a thank you letter) shouldn't be "legal." Compare that with OTW (Mechanic, when hotwiring cars) -- Mechanic can do far more than just hotwiring, this is a very specific subset of the Mechanic skill.

In this case I would go even further and suggest that nice handwriting, that is not in a calligraphy hand, is orthogonal to the Calligraphy skill. It isn't hard to imagine (for me as I've known a few) someone who can do very nice calligraphy, but who have otherwise atrocious handwriting. For that matter someone might have very nice handwriting, but only know calligraphy with a dense Gothic hand that is unintelligible to the uninitiated. Nice handwriting should, I think, be a completely different trait. Kromm's Perk fits the bill quite nicely but YMMV and all that.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm answer, kromm explanation