Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
BaHalus

Default Re: Armor bought as Damage Resistance Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I second the suggestion to have a Signature Gear suit of high-quality (possibly enchanted) plate armor stored in an extra-dimensional Payload. It's basically what you're going for anyway, and would likely be cheaper and fit the concept better.
Could u give me a idea of how to build an DR 15 this way?

The value could be diferent for diferent PC.

A weak pc could take -2 BS and a super strong could take no BS reduction at all.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf View Post
Because in GURPS, armor doesn't necessarily slow you down. It encumbers you, so it is likely to slow you down, but this is a function of weight rather than an inherent property of the item (unlike D&D). And encumbrance doesn't modify Basic Speed. It has one effect on Basic Move and another effect on Dodge, but Basic Speed is untouched.
And this isn't exactly normal armor bought as gear, either.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
vitruvian

Quote:
I second the suggestion to have a Signature Gear suit of high-quality (possibly enchanted) plate armor stored in an extra-dimensional Payload. It's basically what you're going for anyway, and would likely be cheaper and fit the concept better.
What's the cost for armor bought this way that gets up to DR 15? I bet it's prohibitively high, if even possible using fine plate armor and maxing out armor enchantments.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #34
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
What's the cost for armor bought this way that gets up to DR 15? I bet it's prohibitively high, if even possible using fine plate armor and maxing out armor enchantments.
I calculated it right? It would cost about 413 character points just to buy an DR7 armour with a fortify enchantment to provide a +5DR? WITHOUT THE PAYLOAD?! Is that right?

a character point provides $500, each $25 buys 1 energy point of an enchanted item, and a level 5 fortify enchantment costs 8000.

By my calculations, just the enchantment would cost me 400 character points. By a normal armour only with this enchantment I would pay 413 CP.

If it is right, it does not seems very cheap to me.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Langy

It looks like you're calculating that as if it were $20 per character point, not $500.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
The suggested maximum for TL4 plate is DR 14, which would cost $6500 and weigh 52lb (without additional modifiers for quality). Throwing in enchantments (Fortify, Lighten) you can get an armor that matches the requested specifications.

Except that that would be just for Torso armor, and we're looking at a full suit. Oops. Let's see... DR 15 armor (including +2 from Fortify), with Lighten 75%, costs about $28K and weighs 108lb. Assuming a strong warrior (ST 14, BL 39) he'd need Payload 3 (Cosmic, +50%) [5] to store it. As Signature Gear (based on the TL 4 average starting wealth of $2000) it would cost 28 points. So no, that's not optimum...

I could try fiddling with other modifiers, enchantments etc, but I think you're right that it's simpler to make it innate DR with Switchable. Maybe throw in some Gadget limitations if the DR can be damaged like normal armor.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #37
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
It looks like you're calculating that as if it were $20 per character point, not $500.
the enchantment costs 8000 energy points.

in money, by a $25 per energy point rate, it costs $200.000

$200.000 / $500 = 400

In other way:

1Character Point = $500
1 Energy point = $25

So 1 character points = 20 energy points.

Ot is not right? I missed something?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #38
BaHalus

Quote:
The suggested maximum for TL4 plate is DR 14, which would cost $6500 and weigh 52lb (without additional modifiers for quality). Throwing in enchantments (Fortify, Lighten) you can get an armor that matches the requested specifications.

Except that that would be just for Torso armor, and we're looking at a full suit. Oops. Let's see... DR 15 armor (including +2 from Fortify), with Lighten 75%, costs about $28K and weighs 108lb. Assuming a strong warrior (ST 14, BL 39) he'd need Payload 3 (Cosmic, +50%) [5] to store it. As Signature Gear (based on the TL 4 average starting wealth of $2000) it would cost 28 points. So no, that's not optimum...

I could try fiddling with other modifiers, enchantments etc, but I think you're right that it's simpler to make it innate DR with Switchable. Maybe throw in some Gadget limitations if the DR can be damaged like normal armor.
hm... Payload is not based on BL/10 ? If it is so, it would imply in a much higher payload (level 27 for 42 -with cosmic alreay- I think).

The second problem is that I am going to play at TL 3, so the starting wealth is half of that, what would double the cost of the signature gear to 56. It becomes 98 points so far. And, if this is a TL4 armour, I think there is some more adds to make it available in TL3.

Ok, I really think the original idea is better than signature gear.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #39
Tuoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
the enchantment costs 8000 energy points.

in money, by a $25 per energy point rate, it costs $200.000

$200.000 / $500 = 400

In other way:

1Character Point = $500
1 Energy point = $25

So 1 character points = 20 energy points.

Ot is not right? I missed something?
Yeah, low TL Signature Gear isn't all that great for magic items. You're better off just buying up Wealth really. 400 points of SG for a suite of armor of 400 points of Wealth for your own kingdom, armor included. Decisions decisions. :P
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #40
vitruvian

Quote:
I'd probably leave the Gadget limitations alone, since we already found enough limitations to get it to -80%, and keep it a mystical 'soul armor' effect that just happens to look rather like armor bought as gear. Kind of like the Marvel Universe character Ilyana Rasputin aka Magik.

Pair it with a 'summoned sword' bought simply as a Melee Innate Attack of reasonable size, maybe with the same Nuisance Effect of taking a few seconds to call up, and you've got quite a nice power suite.

Last edited by vitruvian; 03-04-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Tags
ampliations, armour, damage resistance, fade, limitations