Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
griffin

Default Munchkin Quest - starting at different levels

I don't yet have a copy of Munchkin Quest (MQ), I'll get one once the game is available at my Favorite Local Game Store.

As an MIB, I want to do demos of the game once I've read through the rules again and played a few trial games. However, I've heard MQ takes about two hours to play. That's too long for my taste, especially if demoing the game. I've been informed that it can be shortened by putting victory at lower than Level 10. So I could run the game to say Level 7.

However, I'm wondering if it is OK to start at Level 4 and run to Level 10. The special d10 Power is more reliable as level goes up, so among other things starting at a higher level means these will be more useful earlier in the game. Also stuff that makes you Lose Levels can come into effect earlier.

Any issues with starting at a higher level? I think 4 seems an interesting starting point. Not too high or too low. I'll see how it goes once I get the game, but anyone who's played can let me know if they see any pitfalls with this? I suppose even if you've just read the rules and are good at seeing issues and loopholes, feed back is welcomed.

Thanks,

- James (MIB 1313)
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Munchkin Quest - starting at different levels

I can't really think of a good reason why it would be a problem. The other thing you can do is have players "tag team," if the issue is trying to run as many demos as possible for a large group of people in a 2-hour period. Since you need to run demos in 2-hour chunks, anyway, having players trade places with someone who's watching works well enough.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
MIB2826

At Spiel the demo players decided to start at level 5 and reduce the number of movement points to two (from three).

At level 5 your d10 powers are more likely to come into play, and you will be more able to win combats.

Reducing the number of move to two means that player turns are shorter. Thus players don't have to wait so long for their turn to come up.

Yesterday I played a game with this setup and we ended the game with a joined win in 2 hours.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
I can't really think of a good reason why it would be a problem. The other thing you can do is have players "tag team," if the issue is trying to run as many demos as possible for a large group of people in a 2-hour period. Since you need to run demos in 2-hour chunks, anyway, having players trade places with someone who's watching works well enough.
Not a satisfying option. I want there to be a winner and I prefer going for a shorter game that still hits on pretty much all the game mechanics.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
At Spiel the demo players decided to start at level 5 and reduce the number of movement points to two (from three).

At level 5 your d10 powers are more likely to come into play, and you will be more able to win combats.

Reducing the number of move to two means that player turns are shorter. Thus players don't have to wait so long for their turn to come up.

Yesterday I played a game with this setup and we ended the game with a joined win in 2 hours.
Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of reducing the movement points. I'll go with starting at level 5 and reducing the movement points as you've suggested. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
I wouldn't have thought of reducing the movement points.
It's a perfectly valid approach, and one that is suggested in the rules to MQ2.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote