Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: [AtE] Wasteland vehicle improvised weaponry

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
-Compressed air (spud gun 'o death, ammunition limited only by barrel dimensions)
This was my primary thought, because air compressors are common.

Quote:
-oxy acetylene powered vortex cannon (big, loud, short range dubious effect)
But surely they'd be more useful being used to cut metal. Those tanks ain't going to refill themselves.
Noice left field idea, but.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Which, for me, then begs the question "How thick should the armour be?

Common cartridges in the setting are 22LR, .223R, and .308/7.62x51mm.
So... what would be the thickest armour an aspiring road warrior would require to protect themselves against 7d pi?
.308 does 7d damage, or less than 28 points. Decent steel armor is 70 DR/in, so 4/10ths of inch or 10mm should be more than sufficient. Steel armor at that thickness weighs roughly 16 lbs per square foot.

Reality checking my work, the side armor an M8 Greyhound was supposed to stop 7.62mm bullets, and a Greyhound's side armor is 9.5mm thick <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_Greyhound>.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
(E)

I did some very quick calculations for an entry in another thread.
1/4 inch steel plate adds 6.7 tonnes for a large truck, I worked off a lightly lower DR per inch than Mslangdorf and eyeballed the DR per inch at 60, making a plate covered battletruck DR 15.

High power air rifles (based on a current real world model) come in at about 2D+2 with a .50 caliber slug.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
copeab

Quote:
Which, for me, then begs the question "How thick should the armour be?

Common cartridges in the setting are 22LR, .223R, and .308/7.62x51mm.
So... what would be the thickest armour an aspiring road warrior would require to protect themselves against 7d pi?
The most likely "heavy armor" for vehicles is sections of cut boiler plate welded or otherwise affixed to the exterior of the vehicles.

You will need to do some research to determine the ballistic efficiency of boiler plate to steel armor (it is lower, possibly .45)) and the typical thickness range of the plate.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 10-18-2018 at 01:45 PM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
mlangsdorf

Quote:
I did some very quick calculations for an entry in another thread.
1/4 inch steel plate adds 6.7 tonnes for a large truck, I worked off a lightly lower DR per inch than Mslangdorf and eyeballed the DR per inch at 60, making a plate covered battletruck DR 15.

High power air rifles (based on a current real world model) come in at about 2D+2 with a .50 caliber slug.
A Ford F-350 Supercab Longbed is 21' long, 6.7' wide, and about 5.5' tall from the bottom of the cabin to the roof. The bed is 8' long, so the hood and cab take up 13' - call them 5.5' long and 7.5' long, respectively. The height to the windows is about 3.5'.

If you want to armor the hood and and doors of the cab, but not the bed, you're looking at 6.7 * 3.5 + 2 * 13 * 3.5 + 5.5 * 6.7 = 151 sqft of armor plate. That 2400+ lbs right there.

The windows are 2 * 7.5 * 2 + 6.7 * 3.5 (ish, the front windshield is curved and angled, but you'd want gaps to see through it...) = 60 sqft of armor plate, and another 1000 lbs.

The cab roof is about 6.5' by 6.7' feet = 44 sqft and another 700 lbs.

The sides and back of the bed are 3.5 * ( 2 * 8 + 6.7 ) = 80 sqft and 1300 lbs. A bed cover is around 60 sqft and another 1000 lbs.

So I get a tidy 6400 lbs for 10mm armor everywhere you care about except the underside. You can optimize that a bit, but as copeab points out, you may not be working with good quality armor plate, in which case doubling the weight isn't unreasonable.

If you want a battlevan or battle SUV, weight goes up a lot, because now the back of the is 2-3' taller.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
A Ford F-350 Supercab Longbed is 21' long, 6.7' wide,
<Snip> .
There are some cultural differences at work here, I would call that a Ute, sorry for any confusion. The numbers I played with where for a vehical more suited to being the front unit on a road train.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

You can save a lot of weight by only armoring the important bits. For a pick up truck, I would armor the engine compartment(complete with a cow catcher grille) and the drivers seat. The rest would be a "fighting platform" for my warriors, and it doesn't need a lot of armor. Roll cages are still a generally good idea.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
Black Leviathan

A lot of low technology is terrifying but not very portable, especially when it's built with scraps of high technology. A truck leaf-spring would make a 40ST crossbow pretty easily but it would be really heavy and cumbersom unless you mounted it to the back of a truck. It would take a long time unless there was a rotor that spun off the axle of the truck that powered it's self-cocking crank. If you were especially good at engineering you could mount 4 of them to a pintle on a vehicle and have someone shooting a ST 40 crossbow bolt each turn while someone loaded the others. A large slingshot takes very little ingenuity or exotic parts, shooting it doesn't take a lot of skill. If you lob a ball of burning tar at the hood of a car it will obstruct vision and smoke out the driver, if you get lucky and land it in the drive's compartment you've started a fire the driver will want to get out of the vehicle for. Hornets nests are also nothing you want stuck in your armored grill. Caltrops, oil slick, paint, nuclear waste..
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Gig proceeded without any additional unwarranted audience participation.
SPK gets +1 Rammsteins. Most Excellent.

(Rammstein spoiled the Doof Warrior for me a little, they strapped flamethrowers to everything, including the lead singer. But not at 70 mph.)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #20
(E)

A radio controlled/dumb/kamikaze go-kart loaded with improvised explosives would make an erratic but potentially devastating weapon.
"Bombity bombity bombity....."

Tags
ate, piat