Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
a humble lich

Default Re: Deity Template

I will disagree with many posters that this template is too weak, because as you mentioned nobody really knows how strong Zeus was. You could definitely make a more powerful template, but this works. Most gods often have the advantage of "Do whatever the author of the myth wants me to do," which is really hard to price. As far as the deeds of Zeus, most of what I can think of are: smote people with lightning bolts, turned himself and others into animals, slept with lots of women, got the respect of the other gods, and killed his dad. None of those in my opinion *require* a huge number of points.

A few things I might think of adding/changing would be:
-- A few levels of Super ST seem fitting for many if not all gods.
-- I agree that many gods don't seem to be that bright and lowering the IQ makes sense.
-- Consider an alternate form with Invisibility, Insubstantial, and Enhanced Move. The ability to "appear" before mortals seems fairly common. Also, many gods seem to go visit mortals on a whim without worrying about the weeks the journey from Olympus to Troy would take.
-- Some kind of Clairvoyance type ability to look down at what the mortal world is doing.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The template just represents minimum capabilities of a deity. I have problems with characters above 4,000 CP because I can design an entity that creates universes with that point budget. If the character faces a problem, they can usually create something right then and there to deal with it. Yes, an 8,000 CP super might be able break the world with a punch. So what? A 4,000 CP deity can create a black hole underneath the super while safely in the next universe over.
If it is just the minimum capabilities, why Cosmic Unkillable 3? Plenty of mythological gods could be killed.

Even Unkillable 2 seems like it would be too much, much less cosmic unkillable 3.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
; Unkillable 3 (Cosmic, +50%) [225] .
I would just like to say that I think that putting cosmic on your Unkillable is...overkill. I'm not sure what it would even do. Putting Cosmic on Indomitable is definitely overkill. Gods can use social skills on other gods.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #14
Donny Brook

For comparison, here is a 20,000 CP work-up of a Judeo-Christian God I recall seeing a couple of years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I would just like to say that I think that putting cosmic on your Unkillable is...overkill. I'm not sure what it would even do. Putting Cosmic on Indomitable is definitely overkill. Gods can use social skills on other gods.
The purpose of Cosmic there would be to prevent it from being nullifiable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Cosmic on Indomitable prevents humans with Empathy from using influence skills on gods. Cosmic on Unkillable 3 means that only Cosmic counters can prevent gods from coming back.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
Purple Snit

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I will disagree with many posters that this template is too weak, because as you mentioned nobody really knows how strong Zeus was. You could definitely make a more powerful template, but this works. Most gods often have the advantage of "Do whatever the author of the myth wants me to do," which is really hard to price. As far as the deeds of Zeus, most of what I can think of are: smote people with lightning bolts, turned himself and others into animals, slept with lots of women, got the respect of the other gods, and killed his dad. None of those in my opinion *require* a huge number of points.
Smiting with lightning bolts, also the God of Storms and the Sky. Creating a truly large storm in a short time is costly - Weather Control isn't cheap. Transforming himself, and permanently transforming others, with no limit to forms (swan, shower of gold, and so on), also not cheap. The assorted charm/social and mind control to overcome pretty much all mortal resistance, and to rule over other Gods, again, fairly expensive. Killing his father, who was a Titan, would require more than mundane or human-level abilities, unless you assume humans can kill Titans. Wrestling giants suggests greater than 20 ST; the hero Heracles had more than 20 ST - hell, mortals can have stats of 20 or more in a basic GURPS game. I don't think that some of us are over-stating the power of the Gods here; if anything, many people seem to be under-stating them.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Snit View Post
Smiting with lightning bolts, also the God of Storms and the Sky. Creating a truly large storm in a short time is costly - Weather Control isn't cheap. Transforming himself, and permanently transforming others, with no limit to forms (swan, shower of gold, and so on), also not cheap. The assorted charm/social and mind control to overcome pretty much all mortal resistance, and to rule over other Gods, again, fairly expensive. Killing his father, who was a Titan, would require more than mundane or human-level abilities, unless you assume humans can kill Titans. Wrestling giants suggests greater than 20 ST; the hero Heracles had more than 20 ST - hell, mortals can have stats of 20 or more in a basic GURPS game. I don't think that some of us are over-stating the power of the Gods here; if anything, many people seem to be under-stating them.
Assuming that Zeus is a bottom of the barrel god when he is the exact opposite of that is going to lead to inflation of the basic template. What are Doris's stats going to be?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

A lot of the feats of deities can be replicated with the Ultrapower advantage combined with very high attributes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Cosmic on Indomitable prevents humans with Empathy from using influence skills on gods. Cosmic on Unkillable 3 means that only Cosmic counters can prevent gods from coming back.
Also Protects against Static, Neutralize and Affliction (Remove advantage)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 AM   #20
Purple Snit

Quote:
A lot of the feats of deities can be replicated with the Ultrapower advantage combined with very high attributes.
Yes, but I prefer to customize them. Why should Horus have the same basic power framework as Amaterasu or Freyja or Tezcatlipoca?
But it depends what you are trying to simulate. A D&D style divine avatar isn't the same thing as Athena in person. A template like yours would work as a starting block for something like that.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote