Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
Agemegos

Default Re: Selling organs, and regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Alright, hear me out.

Step 1: Have a magical Affliction that puts Regeneration and Regrowth on someone.

Step 2: Capture some healthy soul and lock them up in some sort of dungeon/prison somewhere.

Step 3: Use the affliction. Harvest their organ.

Step 4: Repeat step 3 until they die.

Step 5: ??

Step 6: Profit!
You still have to deal with immune rejection issues.

Why not cast the affliction on wealthy patients for huge bank? Cut out that uncomfortable and inconvenient surgery.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #32
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello all!

So imagine a character in an urban fantasy setting with access to a spell that can regenerate lost organs deciding to sell their own organs on the black market as a way to make cash, as legitimate hospitals will get suspicious after seeing the same person selling their own organs more than once. I'd be tempted to treat it as a job and be done with it, but what kind of job roll would it be? Freelance job with the regeneration spell as the job roll with critical failure indicating complications? What kind of pay would one earn for that?

Thanks!
The idea is pretty fun, once I dealt with something similar.

You could take "Independent Income". That will do w/o having to work the details behind "who buys". Also, you shall as well enjoy avoiding critical failure, waiting for regeneration to take place, being incapacitated, etc. You will save that for another time.

Basically, you earn money because at some point in the setting you did/do your trick and that is all. Then you can focus on the campaign.

If you want other implications or action revolving around your "job", you could take the disadvantage "secret", "enemies - group" or a vow and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
With this thread being revived and me having similar questions due to some character ideas, I'll just address a few things stated in this thread.
1) How can you hope to do this on your own?
2) How likely is the similarity between the organs to matter? How obvious would it be even to someone "in the know"?
1) Using the "independent income" scope, I would say you already took your time doing so. I would even infer you have a group of people working with you, and the money you receive is your share.
2) This is handled by the fact you've got everything ready thanks to your "team" (this includes the right clients).

And if you feel very demanding on this subject, you can add limitations to your advantage.

I am assuming the Op's character is having an "epic urban fantasy adventure" in his setting and not a "daily life urban fantasy adventure" (he only wants easy money). So, his skills will come in play once he requires, for example, regenerating his severed limbs after being vivisected by vampires and brain eaters. This of course, will come with all the cool penalties from shock and freight (for starters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
(...) And by that I mean, if you have Regrowth (your organs regrow on their own) and the Regeneration that heals 1 HP per hour, how long would it take for you to regrow a kidney or a lung? How well would you function with only one of these two anyways? For that matters, what about selling blood? I assume someone who can heal 24 times as fast as a regular person won't be running out of blood to sell very easily...
As far as I understand, taking away your organs reduces your HP. And if I remember correctly, you recover your lost limbs once you hit full HP. So I would estimate the lost HP for taking an organ away from you (including blood)... And once your HP is at 100% you are good to go!

Is this the urban fantasy version of "The Duck Who Laid Golden Eggs"? hahaha...

- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 04-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Major surgery is still painful and incapacitating, even if you can recover in a single day.
Constantly having your organs removed and regrown sounds more horror story than sensible get rich quick scheme.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Major surgery is still painful and incapacitating, even if you can recover in a single day.
Constantly having your organs removed and regrown sounds more horror story than sensible get rich quick scheme.
What's more I don't think organs with that kind of regeneration ability would refrain from killing everyone they were transplanted into. It's like going to business selling cancer.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 AM   #35
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What's more I don't think organs with that kind of regeneration ability would refrain from killing everyone they were transplanted into. It's like going to business selling cancer.
It would be kind of funny if the organs' response was to "fix" the DNA of the new host and make them clones of the donor. Make it take a while before it's noticeable so it can get going. Best suited as a mystery in a campaign I guess, rather than as a PC get rich scheme.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

It completely depends on the technobabble for how the regeneration works.