Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Reflex Sights, NVGs, MOPP and Tactical Shooting,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So you are saying that masks should give -2 instead of -4 and NVGs -3 instead of making it flat out impossible?
Masked Shooting can be improved to Guns-2 with ordinary sights.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
though I would not be surprised if some manufacturer produces reflex sights with an extra-low setting for NVGs.
They do.
Aimpoints and pretty much every eotech variant exists in night vision compatible versions. Slightly more expensive.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Masked Shooting can be improved to Guns-2 with ordinary sights.
As a technique, sure. I think we probably ought to figure out what the base penalties are first. I'd be inclined to say that Masked Shooting can't eliminate the penalty completely regardless.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm pretty certain most of that is wrong. Reflex sights don't require eye relief or cheek weld, so as long as you mount it far enough forward you ought to be able to see it with the monocle, and the one I messed with had a setting for using it with NVGs with a dimmer, fatter aimpoint.
The monocle means you have to move your head even further to the side, which the stock is going to make more awkward, and the bigger, fatter dot further decreases how accurate you can make it.

Quote:
You can already make Sighted Shots with a gas mask on (at -4)

So you are saying that masks should give -2 instead of -4 and NVGs -3 instead of making it flat out impossible?
No, that was me forgetting that part. Haven't been able to use TS any yet (Grumble). In that case I'd leave the gas masks completely unchanged, and let NVGs use reflex sights at a -5 penalty if they've moved the reflex sight far enough forward, or -6 if it's in a normal position.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
No, that was me forgetting that part. Haven't been able to use TS any yet (Grumble). In that case I'd leave the gas masks completely unchanged,
I don't see why it shouldn't make masked shooting easier. The main problem with shooting with a mask on (besides the general problems with field of view and lens quality) is the difficulty with cheek weld and eye-relief, which shouldn't be an issue with a reflex sight.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
They do.
Aimpoints and pretty much every eotech variant exists in night vision compatible versions. Slightly more expensive.
I have to agree with Sam. Just peruse the EoTech website and you'll see that they make holographic reflex sites that are specifically marketed as being compatible with NVGs. This also jives with what the local Special People told me when I asked- they do it all the time, generally with the stocks on their M4s fully extended to get the sight way out in front of them (though granted the sites work best closer to your eyes) and with the weapon canted a bit.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Word of God on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Does unsighted shooting get the bonus from reflex sights?
No. "Unsighted" implies you're not using sights. Reflex sights are obviously sights, all they do is replace the iron sights.

Quote:
How do gas masks, reflex sights, and the rules for Sighted/Unsighted shooting interact?
You can use certain reflex sights and gas masks together, ie, you can use sighted shooting even while wearing a gas mask, at least with some sights.

Quote:
Does sighted shooting include methods of shooting without cheek weld and eye relief?
Yes. Cheek weld is not a prerequisite for sighting shooting -- using the sights is. This is assuming a conventional TL4-8 gun. It probably also applies to TL9+ weaponry using advanced HUD sighting systems (think ALIENS), as long as they are used as designed (smart gun on the hip, but linked to the sighting unit). Returning to ALIENS, Vasquez was using Sighting Shooting until she ripped her headgear off, then she used Unsighting Shooting.

Cheers

HANS

Tags
modern firepower, tactical shooting