Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
RyanW

Default [Powers] -1 per ability "on"?

Any idea what a fair price modifier for a group of abilities that takes penalties, like spells, of -1 for each other such ability currently active?

Edit: Derp. I just spotted the Multiple Feats section in powers.

A somewhat related question: Would you allow a character to take two (or more) abilities and a host of alternate abilities and have any two active at once? Like a character than can have any two of a mind shield, a telepathic link, and a telepathic attack.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
cmdicely

Default Re: [Powers] -1 per ability "on"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Any idea what a fair price modifier for a group of abilities that takes penalties, like spells, of -1 for each other such ability currently active?

Edit: Derp. I just spotted the Multiple Feats section in powers.
Which makes it a free special effect, which probably understates the significance of the effect.

Quote:
A somewhat related question: Would you allow a character to take two (or more) abilities and a host of alternate abilities and have any two active at once? Like a character than can have any two of a mind shield, a telepathic link, and a telepathic attack.
Not at the normal pricing; if you want more than one ability active at a time, you are in the area where Modular Abilities are the right choice. Limiting selection to "only to boost those abilities bought at 1/5 cost to full, freely usable abilities" probably is worth a fairly significant limitation on the cost of Modular Abilities though. (I'm working on something that uses that in a current project and I've got it sketched in as a -20% limitation, but I'm also letting the abilites, when not 'active' in the Modular Ability, serve as CP-activated abilities, based on the rules for those in Supers.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely
Which makes it a free special effect, which probably understates the significance of the effect.
As presented in Powers, Multiple Feats would be a campaign feature rather than a special effect distinguishing particular abilities. If you wanted to use it as the latter, it would probably be a Nuisance Effect.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post

As presented in Powers, Multiple Feats would be a campaign feature rather than a special effect distinguishing particular abilities. If you wanted to use it as the latter, it would probably be a Nuisance Effect.
Whence the note on p. 104 of Powers that says, "Harsher-than-usual consequences under the optional rules in Chapter 4 can be Nuisance Effects," and then goes on to name examples.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
A somewhat related question: Would you allow a character to take two (or more) abilities and a host of alternate abilities and have any two active at once?
I have once allowed this, with the phrasing "buy the two most expensive at full price, get the discount on the rest". It didn't seem to break anything.

However, Modular Abilities with two slots and a "short list" is probably the RAW way to go.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, modifier, powers