Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
VariousRen

Default [Basic] Cyclic and AOE innate attacks

I'm building a spell for Sorcery based off Innate Attack that is a cloud of deadly gas, and I'm wondering how two modifiers are suppose to interact. The cloud does 1d6 toxic damage, is persistent, has an AOE of 16 yards, and is cyclic for 2 extra cycles.

If you're stuck standing in the cloud (or trying to run out of it), does the cyclic stack up immediately (the first round is 1d6, second is 2d6, third and the rest are 3d6) or does it only apply when you are no longer in the cloud (so 1d6 while you're in it, plus 1d6 for 2 rounds after you leave)?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Cyclic and AOE innate attacks

Cyclic doesn't specify, but personally, I'd use the rules for Varying the Dosage (p. B439), with the poisons rules. That would mean that each doubling of dosage gives -2 to HT to resist, and halves the delay and the interval. One second of exposure to the cloud would be one dose, in this case. So if you stay in the cloud for just one second, you're affected normally. If you stay in for two seconds, you roll at HT-2 (if you already failed the roll on the first second, I'd apply -2 to your margin of failure, if that matters), and the time between cycles is halved. If you stay in for four seconds, you're at HT-4, and the cycle interval is now quartered. And so forth. If the cycles are already only one second, I'd double damage instead at those intervals.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Being affected by a Cyclic IA doesn't stack the damage. Each stack rolls damage separately. Now, if DR is ignored for whatever reason, then you can feel free to just make it one roll for simplicity.

And yes, every second you are in the AoE is a fresh stack of the poison.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
I'm building a spell for Sorcery based off Innate Attack that is a cloud of deadly gas, and I'm wondering how two modifiers are suppose to interact. The cloud does 1d6 toxic damage, is persistent, has an AOE of 16 yards, and is cyclic for 2 extra cycles.

If you're stuck standing in the cloud (or trying to run out of it), does the cyclic stack up immediately (the first round is 1d6, second is 2d6, third and the rest are 3d6) or does it only apply when you are no longer in the cloud (so 1d6 while you're in it, plus 1d6 for 2 rounds after you leave)?
It stacks up immediately. Then, the second after you leave the area, you take 2d. The second after that, 1d.

It sounds like you are going to want to add Contact Agent, Blood Agent, or Respiratory Agent. Without it, each die of damage is going to be subject to DR. Also, if I were the GM, I would probably require a Resistible limitation.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Anthony

There probably should be a limitation for cyclic attacks that they don't stack, but at the moment there isn't one.

Tags
basic, innate attack, sorcery