Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Otaku

Default [Powers]: Questions About Gravity Powers

So I came back to a character I began a few years ago and I'm still trying to grasp... well a lot of stuff in GURPS but specifically right now I'm trying to get a better handle on some of the rules from GURPS Powers. I think I understand things in broad strokes but once I go into a little more detail I run into issues.

My first major question comes from Powers p. 29 and p.:

Quote:
For instance, being underwater might be as effective as Static or a power-suppressing serum for negating a fire-related power. If your power is like this, you may give it both the Super and Elemental modifiers. This is an exception to the restriction against “stacking” power modifiers.
So... would Gravity powers for a Super apply to both? I'm not sure how often it would run into the usual Elemental issues, at least not where a different Limitation would be more appropriate (Environmental or Planetary). The write-up for Gravity Powers on p. 128 specifically reads

Quote:
It’s nearly always a form of direct force manipulation (Elemental and Super).
Pretty sure that is just letting me know that those are the two most logical Power Modifiers and not that they should be stacked, but still I'd like to know for certain. I'll just start with this question to keep it simple at first.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Powers]: Questions About Gravity Powers

To be fair, Gravity is a rough one to handle; I haven't really used it. I, personally, don't see Elemental being used for it. What would be the mundane countermeasure/insulator for a Gravity "element"?

At most, I can see Gravity powers acting as opposed powers to other Gravity powers, but that's covered under "Powers vs Powers", not "Elemental".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Otaku

Default Re: [Powers]: Questions About Gravity Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
To be fair, Gravity is a rough one to handle; I haven't really used it. I, personally, don't see Elemental being used for it. What would be the mundane countermeasure/insulator for a Gravity "element"?

At most, I can see Gravity powers acting as opposed powers to other Gravity powers, but that's covered under "Powers vs Powers", not "Elemental".
So for Gravity powers that don't work under certain conditions, would Environmental and/or Planetary be appropriate? If I use a planet's own gravity to fly then Planetary is RAW, though if you just need a certain level of gravity (so lesser objects could supply it) I would assume some form of Environmental might suffice... but if it won't then someone let me know. XD What about Gravity based Binding? If you can manipulate a beings own gravity to somehow "attract itself" (that doesn't sound correct but then again we are talking super powers) then Super is all I'd need, but if it represents someone being flattened to the ground and pinned by gravity then it shouldn't work in mid-air.

Addendum: Another Advantage that is listed as legit but seems a bit wonky is Damage Resistance w/Force Field and Limited: Physical. Again I realize the entire thing is "four-color realism" so I shouldn't dwell on things too much, but if a gravity manipulating character is raising gravity so that physical attacks are slowed to the point they lose less damage, what about attacks coming from above? If the power manipulates the gravity between any and all things in the environment, this isn't as big of a deal, especially if the character is allowed to subconsciously be doing whatever works or all at once: the gravitational pull of everything that is not going to make say bullets hit you harder is increased while whatever would is lessened/reversed.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 12-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elemental, gravity, powers, super