Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
RainbowFactory

Default Lightning infused Martial Artist?

If you know the names Negi Springfield and Killua Zoldyk then you will already know where I am going with this. I am looking to make a Martial Arts/Lightning based character who can augment his physical abilities with limited control over lightning.

So a couple questions.
  • Lightning moves at (roughly) 150km per second. If my character was to go that fast would I even bother with enhanced move or just go straight to warp?
  • If moving as fast as lightning how many Extra Attacks would be realistic? What about dodge speed?
  • When moving at such high speeds what level of Altered Time Rate would allow me to perceive my own movements? Or even think fast enough to control my actions?
  • What would be the damage of a 150 km/s Punch?

Just a few things I am concerned about and I do so enjoy over-thinking things

Last edited by RainbowFactory; 07-12-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff
RainbowFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Lightning infused Martial Artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFactory View Post
Lightning moves at (roughly) 150km per second. If my character was to go that fast would I even bother with enhanced move or just go straight to warp?
It depends on whether this is a sustained speed, or a sudden 'jump'. If this character can move as a literal lightning bolt (including the limited range of actual lightning) I think Warp would be most appropriate.

Quote:
[*]If moving as fast as lightning how many Extra Attacks would be realistic? What about dodge speed?
Moving fast doesn't necessarily translate to reacting fast. Consider, how many extra attacks does a super-sonic jet fighter (or pegasus) get? Their raw speed doesn't actually matter, just their coordination and reactions. This character is certainly a fine candidate for multiple Extra Attacks. There's just not an easy answer of "this speed = this # attacks."

If the character is flying at 150km per second, attackers would basically miss automatically because of the Speed/Range penalty. The travel speed doesn't alter Dodge, though if Basic Move is high enough his Step will be bigger, meaning he can Retreat a longer distance.

If his flight is built as a Warp, he doesn't need to worry about Dodging while in transit, and he may be able to Warp Dodge away from enemy attacks (assuming he can activate it quickly enough).

Quote:
[*]When moving at such high speeds what level of Altered Time Rate would allow me to perceive my own movements? Or even think fast enough to control my actions?
For perceiving things more quickly you want Enhanced Time Sense. It includes the benefits of Combat Reflexes, gives you automatic initiative in combat, and lets you perceive various things that are too fast for the human eye (bullets in flight, individual frames of a movie, the wing-beats of a hummingbird, etc).

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-12-2014 at 09:03 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Miles

Default Re: Lightning infused Martial Artist?

Lightning is a bolt of plasma. Depending on its composition and atmospheric conditions, its speed can vary considerably.

The lowest figure I'm seeing in the first two google results is 87,000 miles per hour.

Assuming a super-speedy basic move of 10, you'll need 12 levels of enhanced move to match that (all right, you'll be doing 83,792 mph. Close enough).

Taking 12 levels of Enhanced Move, using the rules from Power-Ups 5 to treat it as regular move for +150%, we get a point value of 600 points.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning, martial arts, super