Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
hal

Default Thaumatology Skill & Specialization

Just out of curiosity, is it possible or plausible, that the skill Thaumatology, with its two aspects, can be "specialized" to exclude one or the other aspect?

For example, lets say that someone wanted to take Thaumatology for the express purpose of identifying spells that are cast as they are cast, but not use the "research" aspect of the skill to determine the effects of crit successes or be able to research new spells? Would this be a valid use of the "specialization" bonus of +1 to skill?

If not, no biggie. It just seems to be odd for a non-mage to study the skill for the express purpose of identifying a spell that is cast - and only that, while skimping on the theory of magic overall. I can take it or leave it either way. It is only a +1 skill bonus if permitted - no biggie. ;)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
nanoboy

Default Re: Thaumatology Skill & Specialization

I don't see why not. In fact, I think it is reasonable to have other specializations, like Death Magic and Elemental Magic.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
Just out of curiosity, is it possible or plausible, that the skill Thaumatology, with its two aspects, can be "specialized" to exclude one or the other aspect?
So long as your GM is cool with it, sure. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
For example, lets say that someone wanted to take Thaumatology for the express purpose of identifying spells that are cast as they are cast, but not use the "research" aspect of the skill to determine the effects of crit successes or be able to research new spells? Would this be a valid use of the "specialization" bonus of +1 to skill?
Dunno, I'd be inclined to create a new skill for that specifically, kinda like how First Aid can default from Physician.

Also, IMO using thaumatology to ID spells as they are cast should have some kind of modifier based on what kind of ritual the caster uses. The more subtle the ritual, the more significant a penalty.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol

Dunno, I'd be inclined to create a new skill for that specifically, kinda like how First Aid can default from Physician.

Also, IMO using thaumatology to ID spells as they are cast should have some kind of modifier based on what kind of ritual the caster uses. The more subtle the ritual, the more significant a penalty.
I would probably make it that it is perception based rather than IQ based outright, with penalties to vision based on distance, lighting, etc. Also? It does not work against those who can cast the spell without a gesture or a word (ie silently and without motion). There, the mage is simply staring off into space as it were. How can you tell the difference beween staring into space and staring into space? :)

Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol

I believe that there is a gent who has already done that - created a skill to id spells as a skill in and of itself. :)

Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
StevenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
I believe that there is a gent who has already done that - created a skill to id spells as a skill in and of itself. :)
So...does this mean that "Spell Familiarity" is a worthy skill, or should just be subsumed under a Thaumatology specialization? :-)

And after I removed it from that Mage Hunter template, too....

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal

Huh?

Sorry, my cold is impairing my recollection. Can you elaborate?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH
So...does this mean that "Spell Familiarity" is a worthy skill, or should just be subsumed under a Thaumatology specialization? :-)

And after I removed it from that Mage Hunter template, too....
Not that anyone would remember the snickering sound of muttley or the wacky races, but, if you by chance remember it - that's the sound you could hear if the sound could be heard ;)

Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Witchking

I always found the best way to ID a spell is to kill the caster before he/she completes it and then after the battle is over crack open his/her skull and sift through the grey stuff looking for clues...
Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Might be a reason to bring out that Thanatology Expert Skill :|
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote