Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default [Social Engineering] Can you use "Cutting Out" with Empathy?

Can you use "Cutting Out" with Empathy when judging approachability? What if your Empathy is skill based?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: [Social Engineering] Can you use "Cutting Out" with Empathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Can you use "Cutting Out" with Empathy when judging approachability? What if your Empathy is skill based?
I don't understand the meaning of "your Empathy is skill based." Other than that, by the RAW, the answer would be no, you can't, since Empathy is neither Per-based nor a skill, but I don't see any obvious problems if you allow it as a house rule.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't understand the meaning of "your Empathy is skill based." Other than that, by the RAW, the answer would be no, you can't, since Empathy is neither Per-based nor a skill, but I don't see any obvious problems if you allow it as a house rule.

Bill Stoddard
Some variants of Empathy require you to use a skill, rather than just roll against IQ. For example, the variant in Psionic Powers.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand the meaning of "your Empathy is skill based."
Switching from an attribute roll to a hard skill roll is a 0% enhancement. See "Skills for Everyone" in Powers.

Quote:
Example: Healing is based on IQ. If the GM requires skills to use psi powers, a psychic healer with Healing must roll against Healing (IQ/Hard) to use his ability – or at IQ-6 if untrained. In either case, his Healing Talent gives a bonus.
Quote:
Other than that, by the RAW, the answer would be no, you can't, since Empathy is neither Per-based nor a skill,
It can be both Per-based and/or a skill:

Empathy (Based on Per +20%; Skill-Based +0%) [18] + Empathy (Per/Hard) Default Per-6

I'm not sure why it would need to be based on Per since empathy uses IQ when judging approachability.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Empathy (Based on Per +20%; Skill-Based +0%) [18] + Empathy (Per/Hard) Default Per-6

I'm not sure why it would need to be based on Per since empathy uses IQ when judging approachability.
As I said, if you want to houserule it, I don't see any obvious harm in it.

On the other hand—since when is Empathy a skill? My understanding is that you need to pick out one of the existing skills; so, for example, you might roll vs. Per-based Sex Appeal or Per-based Merchant.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
On the other hand—since when is Empathy a skill?
I alread told you, "Skills for Everyone" in Powers [p. 162]. I even gave you an Example from the book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers, Page 162
Example: Healing is based on IQ. If the GM requires skills to use psi powers, a psychic healer with Healing must roll against Healing (IQ/Hard) to use his ability – or at IQ-6 if untrained. In either case, his Healing Talent gives a bonus. far beyond the capabilities of those limited to just attributes and Talent.
See there's the "Healing" skill.

Quote:
My understanding is that you need to pick out one of the existing skills; so, for example, you might roll vs. Per-based Sex Appeal or Per-based Merchant.
I think your understanding could do with reviewing "Skills for Everyone" in Powers.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
I think your understanding could do with reviewing "Skills for Everyone" in Powers.
Probably. I haven't had occasion to look at Powers in a year and a half.

The other thing I would say, though, is that Social Engineering is explicitly about things that people do with social skills. It's not mainly intended to discuss powers. I made an exception for Empathy, in quite a few places, because Empathy (a) is often a simple advantage rather than a power, (b) even as a power, is used mainly to boost social interaction, and (c) is a suitable model for what can be done with Body Language under the right conditions. Going into the domain of defining an actual psionic power with a list of modifiers is really getting out of the territory of Social Engineering. The option of an influence power is noted briefly on p. 18, and Empathy is listed as a suitable advantage there.

If someone writes a book on social superpowers, the kind of thing you're describing would make sense to put in there. In the meantime, I'll stand by saying that it's not part of the RAW in Social Engineering, but that I don't see any harm in your houseruling to include it.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
The other thing I would say, though, is that Social Engineering is explicitly about things that people do with social skills. It's not mainly intended to discuss powers.
I haven't suggested anything about turning empathy into a power.

Quote:
Going into the domain of defining an actual psionic power
I didn't define it as either psionic or a power.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
You did, actually. "Skills for Everyone" is explicitly an option for advantages/abilities which are part of a power. It's one of the many "special effect" options available that the GM may choose to apply to a power. Other examples include penalties for multiple feats, power defenses, and so on.

All of these options are available on a power-by-power basis. They are never intended to be applied to wild advantages. So if you're discussing Empathy with a power skill (via Skills for Everyone), then you're talking about turning it into part of a power.

If Empathy isn't part of a power, then it's activated with a simple IQ roll. And that's what Bill's talking about.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
I've said, I think, three times now that if you want to house rule it, I don't see any harm in your doing so. What part of Yes, go ahead are you having trouble with?

Bill Stoddard

Tags
social engineering