Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: [DF] City Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Im thinking a really big city-state that would yield huge amounts of tribute and cultural prestige if conquered (like the historical Venice, for example). Some invading army plans to soften it up with hired mercenaries and spies trying to covertly stir up revolts, assassinate key figures and sabotage security measures.

Delvers have to chase them through the streets, find their hideouts, expose their secret identities, foil assassinations and so on.

Give the bands distinct personalities and group dynamics, with plenty of opportunities for roleplaying.
OR, they're the ones stirring up the revolts, assassinating people, sabotaging stuff, etc.

Spec-Ops forward element of an invading army. Sounds like DF to me. Mix DF and Action.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I highly recommend a "band of thieves" sandbox campaign. The players basically do all the plotting work for you and thank you for it too.
For enthusiasts of this, I strongly recommend the long out-of-print-but-often-available-on-eBay Thieves' Guild, from Gamelords. Most of it (but alas, not the core rules) can also be ordered from Different Worlds Publishing. The essence of the game is that all the PCs are thieves, so the adventures are heavily city-based (pursuit, second-story jobs, etc) with the occasional break out of the city (temple lotting and tomb robbing, highwayman adventures).

Of course, this sort of thing requires a city setting, so they also produced the Free City of Haven. This was to be published in three parts, but only two were ever produced. The rights to this also went to a new owner in 1986 when Gamelords wrapped up operations. Tadashi Ehara, longtime editor of Different Worlds, holds the rights so far as I know, and has taken a fiendish delight in making me wait more than a quarter century for the final instalment.

EDIT: I am quite happily using Haven as the setting for both of my current DF games. There are few roleplaying settings I liked in 1981 and still enjoy now.

Last edited by Evil Roy Slade; 09-23-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: post script added
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post

Maybe he was going for something more pulpy, like this Dashiell Hammett novel.
Indeed. That's where Kurosawa got the plot of Yojimbo, which in turn provided (lawsuit-contested) inspiration for A Fistful of Dollars and (authorized) inspiration for Last Man Standing. The plot never gets old. I think there's even a fantasy one out there . . . um, what was it called? Ah, this. Terrible movie, but maybe worth a look for DF fans seeking urban plots.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
Anders

One could even hope for an official DF n*: City Adventures some day?

*n is a whole number larger than 12
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
Atreyu_Hibiki

The heroes catch rumor of a racist town full of sorceror elves who have developed a spell that will get rid of all orcs, everywhere. A band of orcs hire them to go stop this so-called "banestorm" from being cast...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #26
Captain-Captain

Razhmok's Scroll is what that other game coniser's an artifact. Indestructible despite it's condition, and undetectable as magic.

It is a ditrry, torn piece of parchment with writing on it. In actual use, the person possessing it acquires a(nother) level of magery and caps do not apply against this level and knows all spells of [college of GM's choosing] as if 4 points were spent on them. This effect lasts for 2 hours continous time (No, you can't be a wizard for 20 minutes at 10 am and then become one for 50 minutes at 4 pm - start at ten, end at twelve) after which, the scroll must be left out in the sun for at least one hour to recharge.

Being out in the sun caused problems. It got thrown out by mistake and is somewhere in the rubble strewn about town.

Good luck.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, social engineering