Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #101
rogersd

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Not, by far.

Anyway I'm like many people seeing this thread, I guess: curious for something interesting and cost reasonable, while fully functional. Maybe a bit utopian, sure :^)

ATM I find netbooks interesting, but expensive. Perhaps the next bunch of them with the minimalist Google-OS can draw more perfomance from the current basic specs (1GB RAM DDR2, Atom monocore 1.6 GH, etc).
I too am interested. My wife has a netbook and I am less than impressed. I find the small 9" screen a real pain.

What about buying a tablet pc? I have been looking on ebay and have found Motion M1400 and LE 1600 Tablets for less than a netbook. They seem to have a greater upside with connectivity, etc.

Does anyone here use a tablet for a ebook reader? Do you have any observations/experiences with this sort of product?

Thanks,
Dave.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #102
Bruno

I used an old old old tablet for ebook reading (and playing solitaire on the bus) until it crapped out. Very very old. about the thickness of a 300 page paperback, size equivalent to one of those oversized paperbacks or smaller hard-covers, and heavy.

I picked it up used on ebay from a warehouse that was upgrading their internal infrastructure, so it came with an extra-rugged case with a neck strap, and I would read with the strap slung across my body to help support some of the weight (I've got tendonitis in my gripping hand unfortunately so it's a little weak).

Even with it being (Relatively) crude and clunky and having a pretty small screen, I loved it.

I got a netbook instead when it died because I couldn't find another for cheap, not because I didn't like it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #103
Jürgen Hubert

If you are interested in how a GURPS PDF would look like on the iRex, then take a look at this.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #104
rlbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I got a netbook instead when it died because I couldn't find another for cheap, not because I didn't like it.
Check out the ASUS T91...it's a netbook tablet PC, goes for $499. We got one in at work, but I have not been able to see how it worked as it passed through our hands to destination pretty quickly...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #105
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
If you are interested in how a GURPS PDF would look like on the iRex, then take a look at this.
Damn, that looks real nice... too bad that the iRex is still too expensive for my pocket.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #106
Bruno

Quote:
Oooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obatron View Post
Check out the ASUS T91...it's a netbook tablet PC, goes for $499. We got one in at work, but I have not been able to see how it worked as it passed through our hands to destination pretty quickly...
Oh, good tip! That's a bit more expensive than the $320 I sprang for mine, but TABLET. DAROOL. I'll have to keep an eye on it for next year or the year after (I refuse to buy a new netbook every year. Unless someone wants to buy my old one...)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #107
rogersd

Quote:
That is great, now if I had an extra $1000.....

I was looking at these on ebay. They are cheaper than netbooks, but I'm not sure.

I want something that gives the functionalisty of an ebook reader with a littl emore power. That is why I was thinking along the lines of a tablet.

Dave.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #108
blacksmith

what do people here think about the Nook?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #109
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
what do people here think about the Nook?
Looks interesting, but it's likely too small for effectively reading PDFs even if it supports the format.

It's probably best to wait until next year when Plastic Logic's Que is released - that should hopefully trigger another round of price reductions among large-size ebook readers.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #110
Kage2020

Quick search over the past few pages failed to reveal whether this has been mentioned, but while also keeping on aye on the Que, you might want to keep another one on the ASUS eee-Reader. Purportedly opens like a book, dual-touchscreen, etc. Of course, it's all speculation at the moment...

Kage
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf