Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [SE] Sanitized Metabolism: how useful is +1 in in 'close confines', like 'elevato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
This one isn't even cinematic, it is exotic. So allowing it for a human in even a cinematic campaign wouldn't be the norm. I remember this as a full on Advantage in 3e, first seeing it in Bio-Tech (I think). Doesn't mean that is where it first showed up, just where I first remember seeing it.
Every living thing has an odor. I suppose it's possible to imagine aliens that for some reason never emit particles, but it goes a bit beyond exotic in my opinion. Claws and venom are exotic for humans, but quite mundane compared to excreting small packages of odorless waste.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #42
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: [SE] Sanitized Metabolism: how useful is +1 in in 'close confines', like 'elevato

As I understood it the Perk doesn't make the character completely odorless. They (and their excretions) don't have a strong and/or unpleasant odor. It is still possible to track them by scent just somewhat more difficult. The Perk probably manifests differently based on what it represents though.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
As I understood it the Perk doesn't make the character completely odorless. They (and their excretions) don't have a strong and/or unpleasant odor. It is still possible to track them by scent just somewhat more difficult. The Perk probably manifests differently based on what it represents though.
Even if it did make one impossibly odorless, it wouldn't stop targets from leaving trackable particulates from or of clothing or grime.

Still much better than perfume, which I would find to be more of an OPH than perk.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #44
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Still much better than perfume, which I would find to be more of an OPH than perk.
The Perfume perk means that the scent your body produces is generally accepted as pleasant. Many flowers and fruits would qualify when statted up as characters.

Simply applying perfume I would agree was an OPH. Those chemicals stink, unlike the Perfume perk which gives you a +1 reaction bonus.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You're risking being found on of those munchkins coming up with annoying 'I treat positive reaction modifiers as annoying, and react to them at an equivalent minues'. If you have Unfazeable (Scent Only), and can ignore the +1 from scents that grant a +1 Reaction against almost everyone, that's a somewhat unusual advantage.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
The Perfume perk means that the scent your body produces is generally accepted as pleasant. Many flowers and fruits would qualify when statted up as characters.

Simply applying perfume I would agree was an OPH. Those chemicals stink, unlike the Perfume perk which gives you a +1 reaction bonus.
Call me weird, but I dislike the smell of real flowers let alone the almost painful volatiles of synthetic odors. I absolutely loathe the scent of mangoes, and my mom hates bananas.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You're risking being found on of those munchkins coming up with annoying 'I treat positive reaction modifiers as annoying, and react to them at an equivalent minues'. If you have Unfazeable (Scent Only), and can ignore the +1 from scents that grant a +1 Reaction against almost everyone, that's a somewhat unusual advantage.
My social obliviousness grants me partial immunity to many such reaction modifiers. But PCs are normally allowed to react how they wish, not restrained by mere NPC influence rules.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #48
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post

I lived most of my life being able to identify most people by scent from feet away. That overwhelms my social phobia. I've found now after having lost that ability, my social phobia is a little easier to deal with. I might rage over those physically incapable of staying scent neutral.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #49
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
My social obliviousness grants me partial immunity to many such reaction modifiers. But PCs are normally allowed to react how they wish, not restrained by mere NPC influence rules.
PCs are still affected by Influencing PCs, and it's still bad RP to routinely ignore the setting and its inhabitants.
Also, it doesn't matter what explanation you use for the partial immunity - GURPS cares about effects, not justifications.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
PCs are still affected by Influencing PCs, and it's still bad RP to routinely ignore the setting and its inhabitants.
Also, it doesn't matter what explanation you use for the partial immunity - GURPS cares about effects, not justifications.
It's a spectrum from choice-less automatons to completely ignoring setting influences. PCs generally sit on one side, while NPCs firmly on the other.

And there are things too fiddly to stat out.

Tags
sanitized metabolism, social engineering