Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Gef

Default Re: Cabal Technomages

What would "mana level" correspond to in the proposed world-law version of mana enhancer?

You know, you could always take a brute force appoach, cosmic modular abilities with the limitation, "Must have a gadget that could do that in some universe."

Hmm, maybe Snatcher (Cosmic: Lingering Effect). You snatch an object from another universe with weird world laws, and the lingering effect is that it works in this universe.

Technically, Control (World Law) might be the way to go, but the game mechanical effects might be hard to adjudicate.

Speaking of hard to adjudicate, you can always invoke the handwavium advantage, Patron (with godlike powers and access who provides equipment), and change the "special effect" from an entity that helps you to an uncaring multiverse that bends to your will.

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 06-05-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I want to be clear that I am not saying that Jeff's way of playing his own Cabal game is wrong. I'm just trying to give isf support to play the game he wants right. The default setting of Cabal is neither technomantic spy thriller nor is it middle ages dueling with modern day. It is a spectrum of philosophies dependent only on what you want to do at your table.

If you are cruising around in a 1930's ford wagon, it can still be a woody whether you are listening to the Beach Boys or Daft Punk while you are doing it.
That's great, but I feel you are mistaking the way the setting was written for my personal preferences, since I don't actually run Cabal games but would prefer the default settings if I did since I am most familiar with that via the 4e basic and IW playtesting.

I also think you are reading more into the book than is actually on the pages, but obviously that's not a problem for you and your game and I'm confident the author would in fact take it as the highest praise. :)

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #13
isf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
What would "mana level" correspond to in the proposed world-law version of mana enhancer?
I think that it would be based on the TL difference between the two worlds, but I'm not sure how to factor in the superscience.

Quote:
You know, you could always take a brute force appoach, cosmic modular abilities with the limitation, "Must have a gadget that could do that in some universe."
yes, but tech gets very expensive to model using points for high TL's.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe Snatcher (Cosmic: Lingering Effect). You snatch an object from another universe with weird world laws, and the lingering effect is that it works in this universe.
Maybe, but I don't want the character to be as versatile as someone with snatcher.

Quote:
Technically, Control (World Law) might be the way to go, but the game mechanical effects might be hard to adjudicate.
This is closer to what I'm thinking about. Nothing comes to mind immediately on how to game mechanic that idea though.

Quote:
Speaking of hard to adjudicate, you can always invoke the handwavium advantage, Patron (with godlike powers and access who provides equipment), and change the "special effect" from an entity that helps you to an uncaring multiverse that bends to your will.

GEF
Patron (Decanic Lord of Technology- Ouare); use margin of success to determine how long the given tech will function?

The way I see this working is that through a deeper understanding of the way that different Assiahs implement the fundamental decans through local physical laws, a mage can enchant or cast magic that compensates for the different laws by invoking the superset of decanic energies [if that makes sense?]. I could model this as an invention based on how different the laws are and if it will work with different worlds or an individual invention for each world pair (original physics/new physics).
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

No supertech gravitics equivalent to no mana
Some supertech gravitics in the lab but mostly useless for most adventures equivalent to Low mana.
Supertech gravitics allowed equal to normal mana.

I would just use that as a vague rule of thumb.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal