Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
RGTraynor

Default Re: Long Term Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How do you decide whether they're long-term/stable, or not? Ignore all the game-mechanical traits that influence the decision, and go by player skill alone?
Well, let's define some terms, shall we? The OP really hasn't.

Stipulating that we're not talking about solely romantic relationships, what are we talking about here? NPC+NPC? PC+NPC? PC+PC?

If the first, I decide pretty much on whim. Relationships endure or break up for great reasons or poor ones, and often have very little to do with (in GURPS terms) applicable Advantages, Disadvantages or social Skills. There are many elements of gameplay and prep on which I can better spend my time than parsing out the mechanics.

If the last, I have nothing to do with it. They can decide for themselves, based on what criteria (or lack thereof) seems to them good.

PC+NPC? Well, then, now game mechanics and ongoing reactions rolls play a role.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Sindri

Default Re: Long Term Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Well, let's define some terms, shall we? The OP really hasn't.
Unless you use different rules for the different categories it's unnecessary. The question is what rules people use to handle relationships in whatever categories rules are used in as long as rules are used in at least one.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, contact, continuing relationships, loyalty, social engineering