Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #41
Harry O'Gane

Default Re: [OOC] The Detroit Blues

All right, so far we have 4 characters, and I'll kind of stick with that number. Kobold, Dorin and Jmurrel already made their characters, I'm only waiting for Skullcrusher to post his.

We won't start yet, I had some job to do IRL, and I've been watching some police drama TV shows (won't tell you which ones, of course) to get some good ideas. As a matter of fact, I already have the first thing planned, but you know, this needs to be put on paper and thoroughly covered.

Also, I need to finish some readings on Detroit, since I never GM-ed anything that happens there. Detroit is surprisingly interesting when it comes to crime rate, though, I discussed this over with Skullcrusher a bit. Not sure if it is the city with the biggest number of homicides, but many sources state that it is definitely in the top 5 in the US. Not mentioning the drug cartel and other organized crime going on there during the 80s.

So I'm planning on putting you guys in the Detroit Police Department, Homicides. Well, at least the detectives and the CSI investigator, while our bounty hunter/PI will be something of a support party member.

Talosian, although busy, also mentioned he would love to play, but something that doesn't eat too much of his time. Probably that Medical Examiner/Coroner Jmurrel spoke of, if he's interested.

One last thing - the more TV shows I watch, the more I am eager to turn the game into a series. Instead of comic frames = video frames and shoots. But it's on you guys to decide.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #42
Epic Kobold

I recommend watching Castle. I've often pondered how glorious it would be if those writers put together a module for...any system really.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #43
Harry O'Gane

How about we start working on the story on how did Knight and Bishop meet?

What are your ideas? Kobold? Dorin?

Marko
Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #44
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
All right, so far we have 4 characters, and I'll kind of stick with that number. Kobold, Dorin and Jmurrel already made their characters, I'm only waiting for Skullcrusher to post his.

We won't start yet, I had some job to do IRL, and I've been watching some police drama TV shows (won't tell you which ones, of course) to get some good ideas. As a matter of fact, I already have the first thing planned, but you know, this needs to be put on paper and thoroughly covered.

Also, I need to finish some readings on Detroit, since I never GM-ed anything that happens there. Detroit is surprisingly interesting when it comes to crime rate, though, I discussed this over with Skullcrusher a bit. Not sure if it is the city with the biggest number of homicides, but many sources state that it is definitely in the top 5 in the US. Not mentioning the drug cartel and other organized crime going on there during the 80s.

So I'm planning on putting you guys in the Detroit Police Department, Homicides. Well, at least the detectives and the CSI investigator, while our bounty hunter/PI will be something of a support party member.

Talosian, although busy, also mentioned he would love to play, but something that doesn't eat too much of his time. Probably that Medical Examiner/Coroner Jmurrel spoke of, if he's interested.

One last thing - the more TV shows I watch, the more I am eager to turn the game into a series. Instead of comic frames = video frames and shoots. But it's on you guys to decide.

Marko

Guys I am traveling for work again so might not be able to post much. I am making progress on my PI/bounty hunter but am not quite finihed yet. Press on without me if you have too and I can come in later.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #45
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Guys I am traveling for work again so might not be able to post much. I am making progress on my PI/bounty hunter but am not quite finihed yet. Press on without me if you have too and I can come in later.
Don't worry, we won't start off just yet. There's still plenty of time, since the game is still in progress. Well, not the game, just me picking up facts about Detroit.

Marko
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #46
Adina

I think Zach started working as an ambulance medic after he recovered. His perception and observation skills got noticed when he was responding to crime scene injuries and led to him being recommended for a job as a forensics tech.

Possible connections to other characters:

He would certainly know the ME's staff, and may well have known some of them going back to his ambulance days.

If the PI was in the Marines, then they could have served together in 'Nam. Zach's a good enough medic to do some unofficial patching up for him.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #47
Adina

In terms of TV shows, I would recommend NCIS (the original-ignore LA) as a model for investigative games. Note how each character is a competent detective but has a distinct specialty.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #48
Harry O'Gane

I got pretty hooked onto Law and Order, but thanks for all the reccomendations!

I believe that this time next week, I might even open up an introductory IC post. Got the plot, main crime scene, I just need to catch up with the terminology and Detroit as a city.

In other news: I like jmurrell's story. What about the others?

Marko
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #49
SionEwig

Another TV show that should be of use and just came out on DVD is Detroit 187. One season only, but considering where it's set there should be some useful ideas.
SionEwig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #50
Skullcrusher

harry,

I pmed you my character.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime, detroit, modern, police, semi-cinematic