Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Dwarf99

Default Re: [RPM] rules for fixing Enchanted Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Of course, this means a character can make his Gadget immune to getting stolen while sleeping by putting some protection on it before he goes to sleep (Conditional Termination: When I Wake Up - probably +6 energy). If he then gets woken up in the middle of the night, he has to recast it before going back to sleep, and of course has to recast it every night, inviting critical failures, so I'd imagine it would be self-correcting.
That would be a problem for me as I go to the bathroom twice a night.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

I don't even htink I'd let it go then. Can be stolen is a limitation for a reason. That said, if you're trying to protect it like you would anything else I don't see that getting too out of hand. But if a player puts "ZAP the hell out of anything that touches this that isn't me" all the time he should probably include a electrical attack on the item itself and reduce the cost of the limitations some.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Varyon

I could see it going either way, really. If a player decided to protect his wand with a "kill anyone who touches this" spell every night, the first thief or two would probably get zapped (provided they failed their HT roll, of course), but after that there's always thieves with Dispel Charms and similar. Additionally, if the character has the sort of magical oomph to pull off a solid protection on his wand, he can probably put a similar (albeit perhaps lesser) version over the whole camp to prevent thieves from coming in at night in the first place.

I suppose an abusive player could put a spell on with a Terminal Condition Duration of "Until I draw the wand" (probably comparable to 1 day or 1 week in pricing), keeping it protected all day long, but he's still got to recast that spell every time he uses the Gadget, and a crafty thief might be able to trick him into undoing the spell before stealing it. Of course, there's also the problem when our brave adventurer is bumped into by a small child, the kid touches wand (on accident, to steal it, or because he thinks it's the neatest-thing-ever and wants to touch it), and suddenly the party has a child's dead corpse on their hands in the middle of the town square. Awkward.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchanted items, magic, rpm