Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
Stripe

Default Frozen Runes, How Often to Roll Damage?

The frozen runes trap on p. 71 of Exploits is described as, "A 30’ stretch of floor covered in Evil Runes casts magic on anyone who passes." The effects are, "Resist Frostbite-15 with HT or suffer 3d injury" with infinite shots.

Rules as written and canonically speaking, how often is the 3d injury levied against the victim? One time no matter how long the delver stands on the floor? Once per hex calling for a separate resistance roll each time? What if the victim stands still in the hex—once per turn?

Seeking page references.

Thanks!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Frozen Runes, How Often to Roll Damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
The frozen runes trap on p. 71 of Exploits is described as, "A 30’ stretch of floor covered in Evil Runes casts magic on anyone who passes." The effects are, "Resist Frostbite-15 with HT or suffer 3d injury" with infinite shots.

Rules as written and canonically speaking, how often is the 3d injury levied against the victim? One time no matter how long the delver stands on the floor? Once per hex calling for a separate resistance roll each time? What if the victim stands still in the hex—once per turn?

Seeking page references.

Thanks!
No answer is possible given those restrictions. The answer isn't clear in the text.

However Kromm has said the intent was that it hits people every time they enter the hall, but only again if they leave and come back in, FWIW.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
Stripe

Thanks!

if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Evil Runes are traps and like all traps they have to be rearmed. If that time is automatic (which almost all Evil Runes are) they have a time period to which they rearm. Instant rearming periods means you take it every second, gradual rearming periods charge back up over a minute - or whatever their listed time period is.

Quote:
Seeking page references.
At least, that's how PK and I worked it (see Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game: Traps (p. 9) - unless I'm vastly wrong in my reading of that box (PK wrote that, not me). Either way, this is how I've always treated Evil Runes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Unless a specific trap notes otherwise, Evil Runes cause a one-off effect each time you enter the affected area. This is not "per hex walked" (unless each hex has its own trap), "per second," or anything like that. To be affected more than once, you must normally leave and then return to the affected area. Of course, a specific trap might say that it blasts you once per second, once per yard walked, etc.!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Unless a specific trap notes otherwise, Evil Runes cause a one-off effect each time you enter the affected area. This is not "per hex walked" (unless each hex has its own trap), "per second," or anything like that. To be affected more than once, you must normally leave and then return to the affected area. Of course, a specific trap might say that it blasts you once per second, once per yard walked, etc.!
So my question then becomes if the runes rearm themselves and you're still in the area do you have to leave the location of the runes entirely for them to affect you? What if you stop right in the middle of the line where the runes are and are not? I agree fully with you on the hex walked (which would make its own nasty trap - "Every hex has its own set of Evil Runes. . . Good Luck!"), but it seems counter-intuitive to me that you shouldn't be affected by a trap that's rearmed itself if you are in its area of effect.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
So my question then becomes if the runes rearm themselves and you're still in the area do you have to leave the location of the runes entirely for them to affect you? .
I don't think that I understand the issue here. It seems pretty obvious to me.
Three conditions exist:
A) On the runes.
B) Rolls resistance to the runes.
C) Not on the runes.

B only happens if A happens and only happens again if C happens before A does again.

So in the case of walking say 20' down the hall and standing there for half an hour, you roll once (when you first step in the hall) but if you then step through a door, search that room and come back to the hall you have to roll again.
Quote:
What if you stop right in the middle of the line where the runes are and are not?
30/3=10; so the only way this happens is if you drew it inefficiently for whatever reason. In that case it's a partial hex thing, in which case the character can probably either say which side they are on (out of combat) or get a DX or Acrobatics roll to maintain their footing in combat or whatever.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-07-2018 at 09:27 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

So in the case of walking say 20' down the hall and standing there for half an hour, you roll once (when you first step in the hall) but if you then step through a door, search that room and come back to the hall you have to roll again.
Pretty much that. Evil Runes aren't meant to be a high-precision effect but rather something that makes revisiting an area a bad idea. Normally, Evil Runes work more like a toll collector ("Welcome back. That'll be $10.") than like a 1-900 number ("That's $1.99/minute."). But as I said, it's possible to have Evil Runes that "cycle" and affect the same person again and again, if that's how you define the trap.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Pretty much that. Evil Runes aren't meant to be a high-precision effect but rather something that makes revisiting an area a bad idea. Normally, Evil Runes work more like a toll collector ("Welcome back. That'll be $10.") than like a 1-900 number ("That's $1.99/minute."). But as I said, it's possible to have Evil Runes that "cycle" and affect the same person again and again, if that's how you define the trap.
AHHH! Ok. I thought you were saying it only worked that way. Got it. Cool.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
Bruno

We have faced Evil Runes that affected/infected every hex in the hallway. DX rolls each turn with an additional -1 per hex you enter after the first, to find a safe place to put your feet. So if you move one step per turn, just a DX roll. If you move 5 hexes, you make one DX-5 roll or take damage once.

The wizard cast Levitate on everyone, which worked well until combat broke out in the hallway. Then we risked having people knocked down/out and onto the Evil Runes...

This variant is pretty entertaining, but I recommend only using it on a fairly modest stretch of hallway, particularly if your group don't have astronomical DX, good Climb scores, Jump skills, Levitate spells, or other ways to have a chance to get most/all of the party over.

Combat on/over/through Evil Runes is always extra-entertaining.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote