Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default Extending Weapons

As it says in the title. I was wondering about how to create a weapon, most likely a sword or a staff (like Goku's Power Pole from the original Dragon Ball), capable of extending and contracting at the user's will. My first thought was the Telescoping Weapon Imbuement Skill, but RAW, it only goes to up to Reach 4, and doesn't affect Swing damage. Reach 4 doesn't come close to the length I need (for comparison, Goku's staff can extend at least 150 ft (Reach 50-ish) (Actually, it doesn't come close to the Reach adjustments given in Low-Tech Companion 2 either).

Next I decided to look at GURPS Magic, specifically the Extend Object and Contract Object spells, but these don't have an enchanted item entry (at least of the kind I'm thinking of).

Any ideas? Thanks.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Extending Weapons

Stretching with Force Extension and Reduced Time is a Powers way to do this.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
zoncxs

I have allowed the Imbuement skill Telescoping weapon to "Stack" as if it is god like extra effort.

You spend 1 FP and take the penalty for the C-4 range.

Spend another 1 FP to further THAT by how ever more penalty you take up to + or - 4.

Example:

Telescoping Weapon is at 22.

I can spend 1 FP and roll at 16 to increase my weapons reach to 4 yards, but my opponent is 5 yards away. SO I spend 2 FP and roll against 14 (-6 and -2) to strike 5 yards away.

The higher the skill is the further you can reach. The weapon does not stay at that length, though. It goes out and then back every turn unless you continue to pay FP to keep it there.

You can also just call it a perk to allow for it to extend further than normal, or make it cost 5 points.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
RedDragon

These are both good, but the Long Handle weapon mod in LTC2 gives a +1 to sw damage per +1 to Reach (which I think could logically be extended indefinitely), and neither of those abilities handle that aspect.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Bruno

Check out Extra Arms - buried in that advantage writeup is the Long Arms enhancement, and information on how to break that out into a regular old advantage for your normal two arms.

Long Arms, with Variable, does the deed I think.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote