Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #171
swordtart

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

I'd also agree with the above.

In the past the rules would say that "you can't..." when what they really meant was "it would be unwise to...". Not so much prohibitions as serving suggestions. The exceptions to standard rules should be minimal and only where wholly justified, otherwise it just adds confusion and causes arguments.

A dropped MD on the front left (say) of a semi-trailer will probably trigger when the back half of the trailer runs past it, so it's easy to say that you "can't do it". But once you got new ammunition (e.g. radio-detonated) and modes of use, then that initial judgement starts to fall apart.

Even extreme examples like... Under-body mounted MD, madness... unless that MD is dropping radio detonated mines instead of contact detonated ones. ...SD if you have truck solids ...Oil if you don't plan on making any sudden turns... even FOJ or FCE if you don't mind being caught in your own fire.

It makes zero sense for smoke which is completely harmless.

I wouldn't treat the front four facing of trailers any different to any other facing as far as weapon mounting goes. Maybe the front underbody needs a little consideration because of the kingpin and fifth wheel interaction, but I'd hand-wave that away as an engineering problem that would be solved with sufficient application. If front underbody isn't protected from mines by the back of the tractor unit, then it is sufficiently exposed that you can drop weapons from it as well.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #172
Racer

I third that agreement .

I get told off by some for mounting MDs & OJs/FOJs on my Car's underbodies .

Have to point out that PROXIMITY FUSED Mines don't normally arm for 2+ phases after they are dropped . Unless your moving very slowly , it shouldn't be a problem .

The Rolling Tiger Luxury from Car Warriors #4 has a SMD mounted Under . In the story it puts it to good uses in conjunction with it's Jump Jets , by dropping mines on top of it's attackers while jumping over them .... ;-)

AND Oil Jets/FOJs mounted firing 3 shots via a Weapon Timer , also shouldn't be a problem if your not maneuvering on a long piece of straight Highway .

Also if you've got one or two Oil Discharges etc mounted under , can fool a rear attacker to back way off by making them think you've carrying a full OJ/FOJ there .
Particularly so as that a Discharger mounted on Under location isn't easily observed - unlike a Back or Top Discharger which are obvious at Combat Ranges .

Retractable Drop Spike Plates should also be placeable UF on longer Vehicles .

[EDIT] Talking of Drop Spike Plates , I managed to fit THREE LDSPs on a MINIVAN TRAILER !!!! 8-o
Think that needs changing ??

Last edited by Racer; 08-25-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #173
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Have to point out that PROXIMITY FUSED Mines don't normally arm for 2+ phases after they are dropped . Unless your moving very slowly , it shouldn't be a problem .
PF Mines (and radio-detonated mines) don't arm immediately, this is true. But stuff like Oil -- once it's there, it's there, and fully effective. (In the very-earliest editions of _CW_, MDs, SDs, and OJs "may only be placed on the rear of a vehicle. Any other placement would endanger the user!" [Weapon data sheet].)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #174
juris

Why would anyone want to mount a MD under their own car? That's crazier than a front mounted Flamethrower ... ;)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:25 AM   #175
Racer

Re: Mine Droppers mounted Under ;

As stated if your travelling 40mph+ & your using Radio Controlled/Programmable/IFF Smart Mines or Proximity Fuses with a 3-4 Phase delay , you'll be outside the Mines detonation area anyway !

It's called sneakiness - something us Brits are famed for !! Lol ;-)

Last edited by Racer; 08-26-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #176
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Why would anyone want to mount a MD under their own car? That's crazier than a front mounted Flamethrower ... ;)
When doing a walk around, underbody mounted weapons don't have to be declared, so if you're already using radio-controlled mines, for example, it's like getting concealment of the weapon for free.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #177
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
When doing a walk around, underbody mounted weapons don't have to be declared, so if you're already using radio-controlled mines, for example, it's like getting concealment of the weapon for free.
Never did quite understand that ruling -- I can get down on my back and see under the car....

Now, for a really nasty trick: MDs with radio-detonators L, R, and U; almost as nasty as the "Checkerboard Of Doom" (one B, one either L or R).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #178
Racer

How about an large Oversized Vehicle with SMDs LB+RB with Spider Mines , 2 SMDs UB with TDX Mines , SMD Back with Std Spear Mines , 2x2 MDs with Std or Napham loads Corner Mounter RB & LB corners . All Radio Controlled , with about 30-40% also having Proximity Fuses - just to keep things 'interesting' ...

With 4-5 Gunners & maybe a unupgraded Computer Gunner , there should enough Firing Actions available to detonate them in just about any combo ! *veryevil*

Cover them all in Hot Smoke & really ruin your Attackers day ...
Old 08-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #179
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Never did quite understand that ruling -- I can get down on my back and see under the car....

Now, for a really nasty trick: MDs with radio-detonators L, R, and U; almost as nasty as the "Checkerboard Of Doom" (one B, one either L or R).
The walk around has to be done from a distance of 15', if I recall.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #180
Racer

Yes it's 15 Feet / 1 Inch Game Scale .

Some Arenas have roped off areas specifically for Walkarounds - think they modeled those once for a GenCon (?) 3-D Arena display ? Can recall the photos but not the details ..

Others have clear plastic/glass Display Cubes on or offsite for that propose . Eyeballs only of course - no cameras or electronic devices permitted to record features .

Last edited by Racer; 08-27-2017 at 12:07 PM.