Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #61
Deimos

Default Re: So ... any chance of Pocket GEV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Onerous, no. Annoying, yes. :-)
Ages ago I gave up on taping the maps down/together. I went out and picked up a piece of Plexiglas (3' x 4') to place over the top of the map(s). It's also a bonus that you can use a dry erase marker on the Plexiglas to indicate cut roads, rubble'd hexes, HWZ ranges, etc.

The original idea for this came from my college freshman year room mate. He would continuously misjudge the range of my HWZ's and leave units just in range when he meant to leave them out of range. He pulled out one of the windows in the room and placed it over the map and began marking the HWZ ranges with grease pencil.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #62
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
If you adjust for inflation since 1978, the original GEV would sell for $14.58 today.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;-)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #63
Aman

At this point, with seven pages, wouldn't the easiest thing to do be a kickstarter like funding project, with those of us who want GEV chipping in and then as the amounts get higher adding in "color map option" etc.

Personally, I think it is a no brainer to just make a deluxe ogre pocket set, with all the old games reprinted in a big box. Go ahead, charge $50 for it. the design is 90% done [I know there's always some cleaning up to do with reconciling various editions to one another] and we don't care about colorful rules or graphics.

Just a thought.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #64
Misplaced Buckeye

Personally I hope we don't head down the KS path again. For those that found out too late about the KS the lack of access to ongoing info until recently was a little disturbing. The openness top the information being posted in additional venues such as FB and the forums in recent months has led to what I see as an new appreciation for the game at all levels, by more than just the hardcore Ogre enthusiast. Very commendable.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #65
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Yeah, Kickstarter is not the answer to every problem.

A good old-fashioned "print it and sell it" would be nice to see. It's not like they don't have any experience selling games. :-)

As much as I love the idea of seeing a retro reprint of G.E.V., I'm a little concerned about it being more than a novelty. A lot of effort was put into making Ogre a cohesive set in ODE including all the rules instead of having separate Ogre/G.E.V. rules. It seems like it would make more sense to make a "little big box" version of all the Ogre stuff; basically put ODE in a Munchkin box using the original format size and classic counters. About the only part of ODE that is a little hard to replicate small-scale is the overlays, but I'm sure a solution is possible.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #66
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Yeah, Kickstarter is not the answer to every problem.

A good old-fashioned "print it and sell it" would be nice to see. It's not like they don't have any experience selling games. :-)

As much as I love the idea of seeing a retro reprint of G.E.V., I'm a little concerned about it being more than a novelty. A lot of effort was put into making Ogre a cohesive set in ODE including all the rules instead of having separate Ogre/G.E.V. rules. It seems like it would make more sense to make a "little big box" version of all the Ogre stuff; basically put ODE in a Munchkin box using the original format size and classic counters. About the only part of ODE that is a little hard to replicate small-scale is the overlays, but I'm sure a solution is possible.
The use of overlays on small maps is used quite successfully in Band of Heroes and ASL.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:37 PM   #67
Desert Scribe

It's been awhile since we've heard anything on this, and I know SJG has plenty of OGRE-related irons in the fire, but has there ever been a decision on producing a Pocket GEV game for around $15? I know I would buy a couple.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #68
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Discussion? Yes.

Are we proceeding? No.

There are no plans to create such a product. It's simply not viable at this time. Our energy is devoted to the Ogre projects already in progress, including Organized Play.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #69
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are no plans to create such a product. It's simply not viable at this time. Our energy is devoted to the Ogre projects already in progress, including Organized Play.
Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #70
Aman

Love my Ogre promo copies.

Would still love a G.E.V. version, and yes, would pay $10-15 for it. Any chance of this happening on the near future. I do think even an electronic version of it would be cool.

Now hunting down the retro version of Melee and Wizard!

Keep up the good work!
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote