Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #41
cptbutton

Default Re: Storium - In Nomine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
I realize that I can simply explain to my players how this works, but as long as I am using the Storium template for this setting, my players will return to the reference page they created. Given that that page has barely any information of any kind, I would literally be better off starting from scratch than going with what they provided.
I wanted to like the adaptation, but I have to agree with you here, it is just a quick layer of IN frosting on the standard Storium cake.

I am wondering if we should just resume work on the homebrew we we fiddling with late last year. (See link below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
There is a thread on Storium about setting up a homebrew In Nomine game there. (You have to be logged into an account to see the thread, however. But basic accounts are free.)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #42
wabishtar

That thread has been closed down. One can no longer comment on it.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #43
wabishtar

I stopped paying my Storium membership due to this issue. As I said, I'm rather upset at both Storium and Steve Jackson Games here, and I would really appreciate it if someone at Steve Jackson could e plain to me why they signed off on such a shoddy version of their product.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #44
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Hm. I'm sorry that's been a disappointment! I was impressed with what the adapting author managed, within the restrictions she had.

I agree that it would've been nice to be able to include a lot more of the stuff that was in the books, but between the literally computer-coded mechanics and the word-count limitations, a lot of tweaks had to be made.

It sounds like a lot of the issue is that the treatment was shallow?For that, I can ask up the line if Storium would be willing to give us More Wordcount. (They're undoubtedly working on their own branding/line style, though, and they might say no.) But the mechanics will definitely be limited by what the Storium computer code will permit -- just like a LARP version would be limited by things like gravity, inability for players to take celestial form and walk through walls, etc.

(As for No New Information... Well, when I last saw it (Storium subscription expired, darnit), there was a hopefully more playable/interesting variation of Impudite resonance. Aside from that, I would really rather not force people to go hunting around for dribs and drabs in entirely different formats! We had enough of that with the Grigori resonance information being in GURPS In Nomine. *sigh*)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #45
wabishtar

I understand that there are limitations to the Storium system, and that necessitates going light on the mechanics. I also understand the desire to avoid new information to keep people from jumping around between different sources. I understand that a Storium version of In Nomine will by necessity be different. However, Storium is already an extremely fluid, adaptable system where storytellers can easy adapt to a sit they enjoy. I'm a GURPS fan in addition to In Nomine, and I've run Riverworld, Uplift, and Infinite Worlds games on there already. I was able to make a playable, enjoyable version of those games very quickly on my own because that is what Storium is designed for.

When it comes to In Nomine, however, the problem is that I paid extra to access that world, and got basically nothing for my money. There is no new information, no new mechanics, and not even any information not available to the general public. Like I said in a previous post, the Wikipedia page for In Nomine has more accurate and detailed information, and that's publicly available. It would be much easier to run a game using the Wikipedia page rather than the Storium write up for the setting. So my basic question and source of my frustration is this : If the In Nomine write up on Storium has no new mechanics, no new information, and the information in it is publicly available with out buying the books, what exactly is it I paid money for?
Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #46
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
(As for No New Information... Well, when I last saw it (Storium subscription expired, darnit), there was a hopefully more playable/interesting variation of Impudite resonance. Aside from that, I would really rather not force people to go hunting around for dribs and drabs in entirely different formats! We had enough of that with the Grigori resonance information being in GURPS In Nomine. *sigh*)
I would really rather not need to go hunting around for dribs and drabs in entirely different formats, either. I'd love to be able to consult copies of Superiors: Christopher, Superiors: Janus, Superiors: Jean, Superiors: Jordi, Superiors: Marc, Superiors: Novalis, Superiors: Furfur, and Choirs: Grigori instead . . .

Since there is no new information (excepting the changed Impudite resonance), there's no real reason for me to get a Storium account.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 03-03-2017 at 07:02 AM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #47
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
So my basic question and source of my frustration is this : If the In Nomine write up on Storium has no new mechanics, no new information, and the information in it is publicly available with out buying the books, what exactly is it I paid money for?
That's a good question, if having the platform itself isn't enough!

I'm discussing with my Secret Masters whether we can put up further information on a web page, or into the Storium set-up itself -- though again, so far as I know, Storium has very strict word-count limitations for worlds -- and what kinds of information it might be. I really don't want to do anything that would make people feel like they had to buy a subscription just to go and copy-paste a few cool paragraphs or even a page of new information. I don't think that would be fair to most fans.

Would it be useful to have a web-page discuss the limits of the Storium platform, as applied to the In Nomine system, and how to work around them? Perhaps with suggested changes that might be made to flow better with Storium? Do you know any players who have only seen the Storium version, who might say whether the material was overly confusing/vague to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
I would really rather not need to go hunting around for dribs and drabs in entirely different formats, either. I'd love to be able to consult copies of Superiors: Christopher, Superiors: Janus, Superiors: Jean, Superiors: Jordi, Superiors: Marc, Superiors: Novalis, Superiors: Furfur, and Choirs: Grigori instead . . .
Strewth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
Since there is no new information (excepting the changed Impudite resonance), there's no real reason for me to get a Storium account.
If you don't find the platform itself to be a good hunting ground for players/GMs, then that's a valid choice!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #48
wabishtar

Quote:
That's a good question, if having the platform itself isn't enough!
The platform is entirely separate from "The Deal", the package I paid for in order to access In Nomine. I can pay for the platform without paying for "The Deal", and I can access "The Deal" with a free account. The price of the platform and the price of the explorer worlds, such as In Nomine, are unrelated.

Quote:
I'm discussing with my Secret Masters whether we can put up further information on a web page, or into the Storium set-up itself -- though again, so far as I know, Storium has very strict word-count limitations for worlds -- and what kinds of information it might be. I really don't want to do anything that would make people feel like they had to buy a subscription just to go and copy-paste a few cool paragraphs or even a page of new information. I don't think that would be fair to most fans.
I find this assertion confusing, as most of the explorer worlds have a great deal more information than the In Nomine world, which would seem to indicate that you were not limited by a word limit.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #49
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
I find this assertion confusing, as most of the explorer worlds have a great deal more information than the In Nomine world, which would seem to indicate that you were not limited by a word limit.
Discussions with the Secret Masters have indeed revealed that the word limit we thought we had was much softer than the author (and I) had assumed. Which means it's probably the In Nomine curse in effect; every edition has been plagued by delays and whatnot, and miscommunications are just a slightly new variation of the usual. (There's a reason I identify as a Djinn Princess, and that's one of 'em.)

So! WE HAVE MORE WORDS TO PLAY WITH! HUZZAH! (Seriously, she's got a lot of cut material because of those mistaken word limits.)

I'm going to activate the author, and I am still talking to the Secret Masters about the proper route that new material will take, to make sure that everyone knows who's doing what. Expect to see her checking in to see if there are any other things people might like. (Understand that even with the new guidelines we're working with, we will still need to adapt some stuff -- especially mechanics-heavy material -- to the limits of what the Storium game engine can manage.)
Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #50
EDG

IN:Storium author speaking. If there are specific features of In Nomine that you'd like to see in the Storium world and that are not present in the current iteration, please let me know. I will continue monitoring this thread for a while, and I'll see what I can do.

wabishtar, I understand your concerns. The word count specified in the Storium creation guide turns out to not have been as hard and fast as it seemed, and we're working with Storium now to expand what we submitted.

(Please be aware that there are a number of In Nomine mechanics that don't translate properly to Storium - in fact, they were written and then cut to satisfy that misunderstood wordcount - and while I can write them into supplementary material that guides players and GM, I believe I'm limited in introducing new cards and card types. If I'm wrong, I'll do what I can to implement whatever I can in mechanics rather than flavor text.)
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, storium