Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default What sort of society do you get...

Humanoid - Racial ability Telesend, Broadcast, Racial, Vague, Always On.

Species is Chummy to Gregarious.

Vague is very strictly emotions. Usually the recipient can learn that someone is experiencing an emotion and the magnitude of it but doesn't feel it themselves unless it is very strong or there is a close tie to the sender.

How does something like this play out on the macro scale?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: What sort of society do you get...

Mob rule and mindless panic during disasters? That always on is the big killer, IMO.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Yeah... I see a "pure' communist mob that reacts in masses to threats, panics, etc. But also mobilizes easily and organizes naturally for relief efforts and group support.

Or more likely than pure communism would be groups of Big Man reciprocity societal/economic groups, "communist" in whole, but localized around central leadership. Possibly even being a republic in governmental form.

Did this idea arise from the latest Sluggy Freelance storyline?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Black Leviathan

I feel like there would be a stigma against "Downers". Not that most people would have negative feeling imposed on them but the few times they "caught" a feeling from someone who is oddly effective at projecting or at a time when they were more susceptible to contagious emotion makes everyone wary of people who can't keep up a positive attitude.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Aldric

I also see a lot of ways this could go wrong, and only one where you could have this utopian society.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
I also see a lot of ways this could go wrong, and only one where you could have this utopian society.
Don't be shy - list'em if you got'em.

I need to plug holes with societal conventions and work out dark underbellies.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

I do think that Mind Reading would probably work better for a society than Telesend. I think that Telesend would result in a race of homicidal loners while Mind Reading would result in a gregarious and truthful race (the latter gives you a reason to trust people while the former is like having every pretentious and narcissistic vlog on Earth broadcasting into your mind). An entire race with Mind Reading would likely have Charitable, Easy to Read, Gregarious, Honesty, and Truthfulness because no one expects deception and unlawful behavior.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I have a hard time seeing this actually changing humanity much. We already wear our emotions on our sleeves: this just makes it harder to hide.

I'm unsure if it'd be easier to become hostile to different groups of humans, leading to greater divisions in society, or if the ability to sense when someone is being sincere about caring for someone would facilitate the efforts of peacemakers.

In some ways, its similar to a society that always tells the truth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do think that Mind Reading would probably work better for a society than Telesend. I think that Telesend would result in a race of homicidal loners while Mind Reading would result in a gregarious and truthful race (the latter gives you a reason to trust people while the former is like having every pretentious and narcissistic vlog on Earth broadcasting into your mind). An entire race with Mind Reading would likely have Charitable, Easy to Read, Gregarious, Honesty, and Truthfulness because no one expects deception and unlawful behavior.
Mind Reading - Always On would be no different in regards to your vlog analogy and I don't want it to be selective. Pretty sure that mind readers will learn how to shield thoughts or be intricately deceptive with them. GURPS wise I would need to tear out a lot of the expected back and forth with attempts to read minds rather than using Telesend's Broadcasting. If Mind Reading is automatic it really changes nothing but complicates play.

I will have to think on what it would take to mitigate the Telesend. Drugs, meditative practices, Will rolls? And does that reduce the range to a minimum or actually create a non-emotional state?

I think that the response to knowing that people are having a rough time is for those around them to step in early and help mitigate it even if it is just to comfort the heart-broken not flee from it or want to murder them. I also think that the institutions of society would be different with more of a "We are all in this together" attitude rather than Social Darwinism and stratification of society so that the systems in the society don't chew people up and make more misery. Hmmm principles of such a system? Create the most joy for the greatest number ?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
I think that the response to knowing that people are having a rough time is for those around them to step in early and help mitigate it even if it is just to comfort the heart-broken not flee from it or want to murder them. I also think that the institutions of society would be different with more of a "We are all in this together" attitude rather than Social Darwinism and stratification of society so that the systems in the society don't chew people up and make more misery. Hmmm principles of such a system? Create the most joy for the greatest number ?
There are pathologies of compassion. Your brother-in-law may have drunk up the rent money; but if you step in and give him a check so that your sister and her children won't be out in the street, you have just encouraged him to drink up the next month's rent money too.

Ethical philosophers, discussing utilitarian theories, have come up with the concept of a "utility monster": given that the ethical goal is the greatest happiness of the greatest number, if there are people who feel more intensely than the rest of us, they are entitled to be given greater consideration, to increase the sum of happiness. In our world it's not really possible to measure this. But in your world it would be. So if there are people who suffer deeply from any lack of satisfaction, other people will disproportionately try to do nice things from them, and they will gain from this, leading to a tendency to breed for intense feelings—in the long run, for the power to dominate other people by NEEDING things from them.

Or as C told me decades ago, when we first met, "Life is opportunistic."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadcast, emotions, society, telesend