Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Sword&Sorcery] Racial Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's an interesting concept, although probably too close and personal with the humans for my taste. I'd like the nonhumans to be exotic things, heard of only in legends.
Maybe they could be more an urban legend, where an occasional flub in stealth or critical success on a human's perception might cause a sighting once in a while, usually scoffed at and passed off as merely a rodent of unusual size?

Really though I just happen to have a love of feline, canine, and rodent humanoids. Somewhat untrustworthy rat men were the first suggestion to come to mind for a setting with non-humans present, things less human than the usual elves and the like welcome, and playability explicitly forbidden.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Lancewholelot

Having some primordial aspect and mystery to the other intelligent species adds the needed instinctive fear and wonder of "others" that, IMO, seems so intrinsic to the genre. If you include a winged race, they may well be Pterodactyl as suggested by Fred Brackin, or some winged hominoid fallen into degeneracy from loftier times, as in Howard's Conan. The proper tone to take, I suspect, is being weird and decidedly inhuman (or just human enough to be a fearful warning).

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 10-20-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
Buzzardo

How about two different kinds of Reptile Men: two-legged and snake-bodied. They could interact in a variety of interesting ways, including any one of the following:
  • Entirely separate cultures that don't interact.
  • Separate cultures that are allies.
  • Separate cultures that are rivals.
  • Separate cultures that are enemies.
  • A blended culture in which one kind or the other are the mages or priests.
  • A blended culture in which the two kinds are equal.

The third choice (rivals) would be my favorite. They won't kill each other, but they'll do anything else to get one over on the other team. That gives the other cultures interesting ways to play the two Reptile Man cultures against one another. Of course, if they realize they're being manipulated, they may reverse the game on the manipulators. :)

------------------------

Here's an alternate thought that could apply to any of the races: They have rigid castes into which they are born. For example, two-legged reptile men with tails are warriors, two-legged reptile men without tails are merchants, and the snake-bodied folks are the mages. And the insect people might go by color (as The Arduin Grimoire did with the Phraints). That kind of differentiation is akin to a lens that you can apply to a race. ETA: Come to think of it, The Planet of the Apes did that with the various species of apes.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 10-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #24
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Here's an alternate thought that could apply to any of the races: They have rigid castes into which they are born. For example, two-legged reptile men with tails are warriors, two-legged reptile men without tails are merchants, and the snake-bodied folks are the mages. And the insect people might go by color (as The Arduin Grimoire did with the Phraints). That kind of differentiation is akin to a lens that you can apply to a race. ETA: Come to think of it, The Planet of the Apes did that with the various species of apes.
Interesting idea. I do love the yuan-ti, and this could be something similar. Snake-humanoids living in the jungle? Yes, please!

All of the non-humanoids are essentially fear of the Other, of evolution running backwards, of degeneration. All things which the White Man would fear in the 1920's, when the carnage of World War I left one wondering if the Decline of the West was just the scribblings of a historian...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #25
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Why make them birds? Pterodactyl men would be scarier and possibly more in genre. Burroughs' Pellucidar series isn't quite S&S but it's from the same period and it had the Mahars who were pterodactyl-like.

Generally speaking dinosaurians were more in the pulp era than medieval fantasy dragons and their relatives.

This may be related to why you have ape-men instead of orcs.
Bat-folk could be scary too. Silent flyers in darkness, build on a halfling base, add flight, sonar, and a knack with poisons. Have the bat-folk be secretive types with some skill at magic.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #26
Astromancer

Quote:
It's just not the common assumption. Yes, it can. I mean, Conan has a fair amount of worldbuilding - it clearly takes place in one universe. But I don't think it's ever a priority of the genre.
Well it was ignored, or maybe just not a major fashion until J.R.R. Tolkien became a hit.

Try this idea. Have a highly advanced city, I'd suggest a city of techno-magical marvels, in the clouds. It would be a source of wonders and plot hooks, but the PCs would only see it from a distance, not being worthy to go there;-)

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #27
Anders

I don't know... an overriding truth of Sword&Sorcery and the setting is that magic - if good - is not very impressive and that if it is impressive it is evil. At least that's my impression. Having a city hanging over the heads of the humans would mess with that - I don't want an evil city floating in the sky because that... I'll get back to you on that.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I don't know... an overriding truth of Sword&Sorcery and the setting is that magic - if good - is not very impressive and that if it is impressive it is evil. At least that's my impression. Having a city hanging over the heads of the humans would mess with that - I don't want an evil city floating in the sky because that... I'll get back to you on that.
It could be abandoned, broken, monster-infested, and adrift, which is what I did in my DF game.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It could be abandoned, broken, monster-infested, and adrift, which is what I did in my DF game.
You might want to hide it too. It could be floating around the peaks of the Mistcrowned Mountains or something like that. Far away and seldom visible to men.

The PCs could get taken their by the Evil Sorceror and get a big surprise when they escape but find they can't climb down.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #30
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I'd consider Laputa from Gulliver's Travels a pretty good example of an evil floating island city. The method by which it flies has a limited area in which it works, thus why it doesn't conquer the entire world.

Tags
races, sword & sorcery