Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Joel

Default Reduced Duration Limitation?

What do would be the modifier for a limitation that reduces the duration of an advantage, say Duration *1/3, Duration *1/10 etc.? There (strangely?) doesn't seem to be an existing limitation with this pretty basic effect.

Also, if to abilities are Linked, can you apply enhancements and limitations to them as if they were a single advantage, for example, apply a Costs FP 10, limitation that reduces the cost of both abilities by 50%?

This came up when I was trying to create an advantage that fully regenerates and regrows any lost body parts of a character, (in this case, a vampire), at a cost from its energy reserve. My preferred end result would be an advantage looking something like:

Regeneration (Extreme) + Regrowth (Linked, +10%; Costs FP Y, -5Y%; Reduced Duration *1/10 [6 second duration], -X%; Vampiric, -10%) [?]
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Re: Reduced Duration Limitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
Also, if to abilities are Linked, can you apply enhancements and limitations to them as if they were a single advantage, for example, apply a Costs FP 10, limitation that reduces the cost of both abilities by 50%?
I'd say this is illegal. Simply because these are *not* one advantage, but two. Even if they're linked. So if you want to limit both by 50%, then apply the limitation to each.

The Reduced Duration isn't possible, imo, since these (as most) advantages don't have a preset duration which you could limit. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single advantage with a preset (=reducable) duration... You could add Maximum Duration, if you like.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
The Reduced Duration isn't possible, imo, since these (as most) advantages don't have a preset duration which you could limit. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single advantage with a preset (=reducable) duration...
But there is an Extended Duration enhancement, which would fall under this statement as well in that case.

Maximum Duration looks sweet though, and will probably work.

Last edited by Joel; 06-22-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
But there is an Extended Duration enhancement, which would fall under this statement as well in that case.
You're right, I didn't think of that. One could simply reverse the Extended Duration modifiers and keep the %-value (/3 -20%; /10 -40%; /30 -60%; /100 -80%). Looks fair to me. Call it "Reverse Extended Duration", and it even meshes well with stuff like "Reverse Blood Agent" or "Reverse Vision Based" :)
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Gudiomen

This is overcomplicating it. Just use "Maximum Duration" in Powers... this is only applyabe to switchable powers, but if you make a power switchable, or trigerable it's possible. For instance...

Regeneration: Extreme (Trigger:Incapacitation; Uncontrolable*; Costs Fatigue 1/second; Maximum Duration: 6 seconds).

The trigger means that the power will only activate when a limb is incapacitated. Uncontrolable* means you don't control the power, it kicks in automatically and drains the FP werther you want it to, or not. Maximum duration limits this both for aesthetical and pratical reasons (it would drain you dry). And just ajust how much FP you want it to drain.

* I now forget what is more apropraite: Uncontrolable, Unconscious Only or both... read up on them.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Joel

But Maximum Duration has the has the effect of preventing you from reactivating the advantage for 5 minutes, which isn't exactly the ability I had in mind.

(Mental Note: GURPS might have spoiled me, imagine someone bitching about not getting 'exactly' the ability that they had in mind in dnd...)
Old 06-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Gudiomen

This is because it assumes the ability will be switchable, and not triggered by uncontrollabe factors. So there has to be a limitation in order for players to not take advantage of it (switch it off and on again). If they have no control over it, there's no need for this 5minute limitation.

Either ignore the 5mins if the trigger is rare enough (they're unlikely to lop their own armos off), or just use Cosmic, +50% to ignore the 5mins. The latter is both RAW and probably still cheaper than the original advantage, after you've accounted all the limitations...

(Telepatic Response: Yeah! Me too. But now we can't complain they have more powers than us...)
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote