Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #31
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: No Depth Perception and One Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Greetings

I'm unsure how to interpret the Appearance aspect of One Eye.

If you start with this trait, assume it's already figured into your appearance...So if Joe Average-Face, with nothing positive or negative chosen for Appearance, is designed with One Eye, he is still average. Hn could have one eye his whole life, or list if 5 minutes before the actual play began.

But if he loses an eye in his first fight in the game, he suffers an additional Disadvantage of negative Appearance?
The key phrase in that paragraph is "Some cultures". I personally wouldn't penalize the Appearance of a one-eyed character in a modern game, or even a game going quite far back in time.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've got fairly poor depth perception, and the penalties have always seemed harsh to me. But I've still got both eyes. Its possible that there's room for a -5 point "poor depth perception" between having no perception and struggling with it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #33
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
I haven't seen either on a PC in a game, most likely due to the combat penalities. But One Eye feels like such a classic trait for pirates and other rough combatants that I'd be surprised if no one has ever seen it used.
I have never seen it on a PC either, and agree this is because DX penalties are generally brutal in adventuring situations.

"One Eye" or "Eyepatch" as a quirk with no in-game effect would probably be common if there was not a listed disad with painful in-game effects.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #34
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
"One Eye" or "Eyepatch" as a quirk with no in-game effect would probably be common if there was not a listed disad with painful in-game effects.
I'd like to see a version that included no-peripheral-vision-on-one-side (-5 points? more?) and only-one-eye-away-from-total-blindness (-1 point, if that) without the direct to-hit penalties.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #35
Anthony

GURPS is prone to overstating the effects of visual disadvantages on gross motor tasks; we actually have a quite large surplus of visual capability for ordinary applications (plenty of animals make do just fine with 20:100 vision or worse, and most animals with peripheral vision also lack binocular vision). A lot of this is probably because GURPS likes to combine modifiers to a single roll when it would be more accurate to use multiple rolls.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #36
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've got fairly poor depth perception, and the penalties have always seemed harsh to me. But I've still got both eyes. Its possible that there's room for a -5 point "poor depth perception" between having no perception and struggling with it.
I have way worse vision with my left eye than my right one. Yet, as far as I know, I have no problems with depth perception.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
GURPS is prone to overstating the effects of visual disadvantages on gross motor tasks; we actually have a quite large surplus of visual capability for ordinary applications (plenty of animals make do just fine with 20:100 vision or worse, and most animals with peripheral vision also lack binocular vision). A lot of this is probably because GURPS likes to combine modifiers to a single roll when it would be more accurate to use multiple rolls.
I'm not comfortable, but I certainly can find my way around within a few miles of my home with my -7.00 diopter vision sans glasses. That's much worse than 20/500.
(I couldn't find my way around outside that area with glasses.)

The harsh penalties may be more accurate for those suddenly suffering hindered vision.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #38
JustAnotherJarhead

For all those addressing "appearance".

I personally don't care for my appearance while wearing a patch.

But it's been clearly stated to me by multiple friends, dude you look bad ass with your patch, you should keep it.

So apparently most folks aren't really put off by the appearance of a patched eye.

I'm still looking for a real comfy patch. maybe dragon hide?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

I"m average looking on a good day, but I've never had a friend ever say that. They either compliment me or say nothing at all as far as I can remember.

I think it's probably close to how Gurps suggests. It makes the average less appealing and the attractive more interesting.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, no depth perception, one eye