Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Biker Matt

Default Attempt 1 for reworking Regeneration (noflame)

People have been listing trouble with the Regen rules (or flaming said people for questioning the rules), so I decided I'd try to find a way to make a more evenly-graded system. With a little modification, I even managed to make something that (on the surface) looks valid for applying to Fatigue (hotly contested, here!). That being said, here's the results (and some explanation):

Prerequisite for Regeneration: Very Healthy (or Very Fit for the fatigue version).
Reasons: 1) This would be the natural consequence for having regeneration (and optimal health), and 2) the points balance better if one needs VH rather than GETTING Healthy for free with the initial 10-point version of Regen.

Cost per Level: 6

Effects: At the first level (for HP), the daily roll to recover HP is replaced with an automatic 1 HP per 12 hours.
Each additional level reduces the time for HP recovery by half, rounding up to the next second.
At level 17-18, further levels instead add 1 HP per second, rather than doubling.

Fatigue Regen Cost per Level: 12

Fatigue Regen effects: Each level reduces the time to recover Fatigue by half, rounded up to the next second.
Half-levels may be purchased, reducing the time by 30%, up to level 8.
At level 10-11, further levels instead add 1 FP per second.

Reasoning: looking at the costs, at 24 points, it takes 90 minutes per HP, at 54 it takes almost 3 minutes per point (2:49), at 102 it's 1 per second, and at 150 it's 9 per second. Nearly a perfect match.
Let's look at fatigue. REMEMBER: Fatigue only recovers quickly under NORMAL usage! It does NOT recover any faster when spending it to fuel Magic or Advantages! (B.55) Recovery at about 1 minute (53 seconds) takes 3 1/2 levels, or 30 points. at the 90 point level (8 1/2 levels) it's 2/second, and if you want to recover 5 points per second (which requires a Do Nothing action), it costs a whopping 156 points! Seems fairly balanced to me!
Biker Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, regeneration