Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Control (Force) and Defenses

Upon reading the description of the Control advantage as it applies to forces (like Gravity) on P61, it seemed to be allowing attacks that would never allow any sort of defense.

And I quote:
"e.g., Control 10 (Gravity) could make everything weightless (-100%) or double all weights (+100%), with effects as described in Different Gravity (p. B350). This only affects the gross force on entire objects."

There is no defense roll for any characters or objects in the area of effect because the power is being used on the local gravity, and not directly on them, right? And I don't see any mention of the local force of Gravity getting a defense roll (how would that even work).

To be fair, it does state clearly that "to disintegrate things by reducing internal binding forces, buy an Innate Attack". But the effects of altering the strengths of forces can have real debilitating effects on characters and objects. Gravity alteration can cause Space Sickness, extreme nausea, attribute penalties (and the skill penalties that come with that), FP loss, and unconsciousness. And since Control of forces doesn't have to affect a continuous area (as per the description of the Collective enhancement on P92), you needn't affect the local gravity around yourself, and can thus have a ridiculous advantage in combat.

That's all fine with me, and I don't have a real problem with the lack of defense in this situation - finding yourself in an area affected by a Control Gravity power should have the same effects as finding yourself on a planet with a higher or lower gravity or in a situation of intense acceleration in space, IMO.

But I have noted that GURPS tends to frown upon totally irresistible attacks and what can be seen as amounting to "I Win" powers (I have less of an issue with these if they are self-consistent and fit the genre), and high enough levels of Control Gravity seem to fit this description. So I guess I'm asking: am I reading it write / are my interpretations RAW?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Control (Force) and Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
But I have noted that GURPS tends to frown upon totally irresistible attacks and what can be seen as amounting to "I Win" powers (I have less of an issue with these if they are self-consistent and fit the genre), and high enough levels of Control Gravity seem to fit this description. So I guess I'm asking: am I reading it write / are my interpretations RAW?
Your right there is no roll other than the one to avoid free fall sickness. but Control Gravity is not cheep when you consider each level will only change gravity by 0.1G

But also most area attack dont get an active defense other than Dodgue and drop to get out.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, defenses, forces, gravity