Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Eddie Elsewhere

Default Re: Gettysburg scenario

So you did, JLV. consider my unintentional redundancy a vote in favor of your earlier statement!
Eddie Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Stabliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Custom cards are an absolute non-starter for me, unless someone can point to me to place to buy good-quality blanks.
2 options come to mind:

1)Buy card sleeves with coloured backs designed for Collectable card games then print onto paper/card, cut and put in sleeves - all card backs then look the same.
2)get your friendly neighbourhood ccg player to give you 100 common cards that they have many extra copies of, print the ogre cards to whole sheet label paper, and stick them to the worthless ccg cards.

Option 1 will be best if lots of shuffling is required.

Of course, what were really need is for SJgames to have the OGRE 6th Ed picture printed on the back of some card sleeves, so we could have official card sleeves - Ooops, sorry, dreaming again.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
2)get your friendly neighbourhood ccg player to give you 100 common cards that they have many extra copies of, print the ogre cards to whole sheet label paper, and stick them to the worthless ccg cards.
Yeah, I was figuring on doing something like this, or even possibly with some of my giant stack of Munchkin promos. And I figure if I'm gonna stick something on the front of the card, I can also print up stuff to put on the back of the cards, especially if I'm doing different types of decks (reinforcements, locations, objectives, etc.)...

Of course, the ideal situation would be coming up with a way to make your own laminated cards from scratch, but I'm not sure there's any cost-effective way of doing that...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
KoalaBro2

The problem with cards that people have been noting is that even with non-replacement, it would be possible for a lucky player to draw, say, all three Ogres in the deck for the first three draws, which would be tough to counter.

So what about a table with, say, 20 reinforcement units (1 every 5 turns for 100 turns, if that's what we're talking about doing), but you only roll a D6? So you could get any of the first 6 units on the list. Whoever you get is crossed out, and the rest of the list moves up one.

This way, you can put the Ogres at, say, 6, 12, and 18, guaranteeing that the second one couldn't be rolled before turn 30, and the third wouldn't be before turn 60. The main downside I could see is that reinforcements might look too similar between the players, making it potentially less interesting. This could be solved by using larger dice (D8s or D10s), but that would add complexity to the equipment you need to play the game.
KoalaBro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaBro2 View Post
The problem with cards that people have been noting is that even with non-replacement, it would be possible for a lucky player to draw, say, all three Ogres in the deck for the first three draws, which would be tough to counter.

So what about a table with, say, 20 reinforcement units (1 every 5 turns for 100 turns, if that's what we're talking about doing), but you only roll a D6? So you could get any of the first 6 units on the list. Whoever you get is crossed out, and the rest of the list moves up one.

This way, you can put the Ogres at, say, 6, 12, and 18, guaranteeing that the second one couldn't be rolled before turn 30, and the third wouldn't be before turn 60. The main downside I could see is that reinforcements might look too similar between the players, making it potentially less interesting. This could be solved by using larger dice (D8s or D10s), but that would add complexity to the equipment you need to play the game.
Really, I think anything is workable, as long as everyone agrees to it.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #26
Stabliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I really like the card system, but there needs to be a lot of different cards, and I had suggested to Stabilizer over on the BGG forums that there be multiple decks of reinforcements with different point values as well. I also suggested objective cards and location cards (both entry and on-board for setup/objectives), all of which could be combined to help run a large convention free-for-all as well as solo play. I really ought to just come up with a list of cards and post it somewhere for comments - I have almost no artistic ability, but would be happy to collaborate with others who do :)
I have read your comments on bgg, and composed half a reply twice, but I simply haven't got my head round the whole thing yet. There are many possibilities with the cards, but the idea needs to distil somewhat in order to get the maximum utility from the least number of cards.

An idea I'm going to work on tonight is a conjunction of cards and dice, maybe it will have more utility.

I don't consider myself to be someone with artistic talent, I'm just messing around with some tools, specifically paintshop pro, zuntzu and magic set editor. paintshop pro could be replaced with one of many free to download graphic/art applications, and the other 2 are free to download anyway. Feel free to tell me what you think I should do, or show me how to do it better, I'm not done learning.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
I have read your comments on bgg, and composed half a reply twice, but I simply haven't got my head round the whole thing yet. There are many possibilities with the cards, but the idea needs to distil somewhat in order to get the maximum utility from the least number of cards.

An idea I'm going to work on tonight is a conjunction of cards and dice, maybe it will have more utility.

I don't consider myself to be someone with artistic talent, I'm just messing around with some tools, specifically paintshop pro, zuntzu and magic set editor. paintshop pro could be replaced with one of many free to download graphic/art applications, and the other 2 are free to download anyway. Feel free to tell me what you think I should do, or show me how to do it better, I'm not done learning.
I like the way you think, sir! Quite often when a debate seems to be crystallizing along two divergent (and seemingly exclusive) paths, some way of combining the two methodologies will actually give a better answer than either of the two independent options would have in the first place.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Stabliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaBro2 View Post

I think a solution to drawing 3 ogres in a row might be to have 3 separate piles, with an ogre in each pile, and only draw from the second pile after getting to the bottom of the first pile, and similarly for the 3rd. Not that I think that's the best way to deal with it, but its a solvable problem.

If both players are drawing from the same deck things could be more imbalanced that if each player had their own deck with the same cards but in a random order. - Something to consider.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
JLV

I should probably note that all along I had been assuming SEPARATE reinforcement card piles for the two sides. It seemed fundamental to me, and that's where miscommunication always begins -- when we fail to make our underlying assumptions clear.... ;-)
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
Walt Freitag

Blank face playing cards can be purchased from magic shops (and various other places including Amazon). Unlike business cards, they handle and shuffle easily.

However, because of the coating (that makes them handle and shuffle easily), they are difficult to print on. You might be limited to certain brands of permanent marker, which is fine if you're testing a deck design or making a set for your own use.
Walt Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote