Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
offsides

Default Miniatures Set 2 Assembly Notes

I got my sets (2x Many Minis in one box - the outer carton was dented to the point of breaking the heavy cardboard, and one of the inner boxes got a little battered, but the contents are fine so who cares :)) on Saturday, and have already assembled one of each unit from the "standard" colors to put with my set 1 stuff for display, and am almost done with assembling an entire "reverse" color set as well. Everything looks pretty good, but I found a couple interesting tidbits during assembly. Here are my thoughts on assembling the various units.

Fencer:
Amazingly, every single piece snaps in tight enough that there's no glue needed. I expected that with the turret, since it's interchangeable, but all 4 treads snapped in solidly as well. Neat!
Superheavy:
It turns out that the guns are NOT identical - each side of the sprue has a coaxial gun on a different side of the main gun. Therefore, to make the SHVY symmetrical, you need to use one gun from each side of the sprue. Not that it really matters, and you could even use the 4 different combinations to designate different SHVYs to a limited extent, but it was an interesting thing to note.
Mobile HWZ:
I'm a hair disappointed that I had to glue the turrets rather than letting them rotate like most of the HWZs do (a couple were too loose and had to be glued), but it's not a big deal. And if you value your sanity, install the radar dish first :)
GEV-PC:
The simplest assembly of this set, it's just like the regular GEV.
LGEV:
Straightforward, though those fan tails are a hair small for my fingers. The only tricky part is that the left slot seems to be a little tighter, and require some extra force to get the fan fully in place.
Light Tank:
Okay, while I have to admit that the assembled unit looks great, holy smokes is this one disproportionately complicated. First off, it's the only unit other than Ogres to require 5 (yes, FIVE!) pieces. Second, it's the ONLY unit that requires installing one piece on top of another (I'm not sure why this was necessary, though I'm sure there's a good reason for it). Finally, after installing the gun platform on the back, you really want to install the remaining three pieces in this order: radar dish, gun, antenna. Again, your sanity will thank you :)
Mark IV:
Another straightforward build, especially since the secondaries are identical (unlike the Mk III and V). Although, the scaling feels a little off - the Mark IV is longer than the Mark V, and the secondary guns are noticeably bigger than the Set 1 Ogres even though the primary is the same size (and may even even the same sculpt as the Mk III). The tower is also shorter and stockier, but I can't say that's off given that each Ogre's tower is different. Plus the tread units are bigger, but that at least makes some sense due to the Mk IV's increased speed.
So there you have it. Overall, beside the order of parts on the MHWZ and LT, there aren't any real gotchas. Even the slot tightness on the LGEV is no biggie, you just have to pay attention to pushing it in a little more. And once again, the sculpts are just plain gorgeous. Thanks a bunch to SJG for another very well done project!
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
offsides

Default Re: Miniatures Set 2 Assembly Notes

Some additional thoughts on the LTs now that I've finished building an entire sprue of them:
  • They're really neat looking, but they're a pain to assemble!
  • The radar dish takes a little more force than I'd like to get it in the hole - sometimes it slips before I get it seated properly. But once it's in, it's nice and solid.
  • The antenna is so thin it's a pain (literally) to work with, but it sits in the slot really well. Once it's in, it's not going anywhere unless you bash it pretty hard.

I still don't quite understand the need for the extra platform piece on the back, but at least it's easy to put in place properly. And again, the final product is pretty cool, so they're worth it. :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I still don't quite understand the need for the extra platform piece on the back, but at least it's easy to put in place properly. And again, the final product is pretty cool, so they're worth it. :)
Looking at the model, the separate deck plate allows the overhang at the sides to be faithful to the original design and give more depth to the model.

Grip-to-release tweezers are your friend when building tiny models!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Mark IV:
Another straightforward build, especially since the secondaries are identical (unlike the Mk III and V). Although, the scaling feels a little off - the Mark IV is longer than the Mark V, and the secondary guns are noticeably bigger than the Set 1 Ogres even though the primary is the same size (and may even even the same sculpt as the Mk III). The tower is also shorter and stockier, but I can't say that's off given that each Ogre's tower is different. Plus the tread units are bigger, but that at least makes some sense due to the Mk IV's increased speed.
Thanks for the detailed review. I'm looking forward to expanding my OGRE collection into the new plastic and also doing some custom OGREs.

I always viewed the MARK4 as a later, larger version of the NINJA. They scaled the NINJA template up and added Long Range Secondary Batteries (Combines version of the NIHON SBs), Missile Racks and faster speed and the official one was the first gen prototype. This later version was designated SHINOBI. So this is fine by me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...7688275408641/

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-06-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Mack_JB

I'll second (or is it third?) the fact that those little antennas on the MHWZ and the LT are a real PitA. I had one from an LT go zinging twice, got lucky and found it both times.

I've assembled one of each unique mini, they are all really nice. Note that the treads on the Fencer are gated such to allow you to face the sprue gates inboard for best appearance.

Can we get a canonical reply as to how the SHVY guns are to be placed? The gun parts are made in both left and right versions (the smaller co-located barrels). So do the small barrels both go outboard, or do they both go inboard? I seem to recall on the metal minis they both face to the right of the tank.

I'm really happy with all of them!

Last edited by Mack_JB; 09-22-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Mack_JB

I've got all my blue units assembled. They are not bad, except for the amount of fiddly parts on the LT.

Kitbashing idea: The gun from the MHWZ fits the turret socket on the Fencer ....
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Kitbashing idea: The gun from the MHWZ fits the turret socket on the Fencer ....
NO. Stop it right now, young man! :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
NO. Stop it right now, young man! :D
Indeed.

That path leads to madness.

(But some really cool ideas, too!)

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Mack_JB

As long as we're tossing ideas around. We now have gray minis: The PE sent covert aid to a renegade faction fighting the NAC in the southern portion of the one time United States, thus giving rise to the 'Second Confederate Army' ....
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
ianargent

The one light tank I built, has lost its radar dish to "battle damage." IE, I lost it during construction.

The Ogres I've glued everything but the Fencer turrets.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote