Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default A plea for 'New Followers' (or equivalent)

I couldn't find the old thread where the New Followers and Monster Followers talents were discussed, but I think they are significant enough to merit another shout-out before the final form of ITL gets settled. There was some talk of these being X'd out of the game; if so, I think that would be a mistake. As it stands, there are several mechanisms for characters to gain 'teams' of various forms of assistants - mounts, other trained animals, henchmen, henchmonsters, and perhaps you could include summoned creatures and demons (though this is an under developed part of the game). These things enrich the game and naturally create interesting roleplaying opportunities, and they create niches for interesting character types that wouldn't otherwise exist. I think the game almost needs them. And I've never seen a case where a player took unfair advantage of them. So, please leave them in! (Though I don't care if they are re-named or rewritten or whatever.) If anything, I would add one or two more options like this (such as a treatment of familiars or 'bound' creatures, demons or spirits).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
luguvalium

Default Re: A plea for 'New Followers' (or equivalent)

Previous thread:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158422
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
ak_aramis

I'd love to see it stay in. If not in the new ITL, then in the compendium. (Really, anything dropped from the original that isn't a matter of copyright/trademark issues would be excellent fodder for an "old-school options" entry in the compendium.)

Last edited by ak_aramis; 08-26-2018 at 01:19 AM.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Jim Kane
Banned

Agreed. Anything thing like a talent which is deselected from the original text should be cited somewhere in relation to the re-edit - if even only to appear on a separate sheet - if for no other reason than to give GMs and Players the maximum information and options for their campaigns.

This would free-up whatever needed space the designer needs to meet the page count in his re-envisioning of the newly-bound master text, but also, would ensure that the original content was at least preserved in some manner for those who may have an interest.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-26-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Hrm. Hrm, hrm. I mean for the new material in the compendium to be official, but not the old articles, so we already have a dichotomy. Hrm, hrm.

My immediate reaction is "no, I got rid of the old stuff for a reason," but hrm. Not ignoring you here. I may not do it, but I'm not ignoring you.

That particular talent is, however, a good example of something that can and should be roleplayed, rather than used as a die-roll to take away GM characters.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
...That particular talent is, however, a good example of something that can and should be roleplayed, rather than used as a die-roll to take away GM characters.
Which then leaves the solo/sandbox player where?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Jim, this reads as an abrupt demand for information rather than a request to discuss something that might not have been considered yet. Even changing this to "Where does this leave the solo/sandbox player?" would have been a help. Better still would be, "How does this change affect solo/sandbox play?" which doesn't carry the implication that we're ignoring that play style.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Jim, this reads as an abrupt demand for information rather than a request to discuss something that might not have been considered yet. Even changing this to "Where does this leave the solo/sandbox player?" would have been a help. Better still would be, "How does this change affect solo/sandbox play?" which doesn't carry the implication that we're ignoring that play style.

I don't know about that but it's a fair point. I never used the Talent and I don't play solo/sandbox style but clearly some do and it's something to consider.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
At the mercy of the designer, I'd say. Solo/sandbox adventures should probably not allow new followers except where specifically provided for, or scale combat encounters to the strength of the current party.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
larsdangly

So, if the plan is to remove these talents and suggest this kind of henchman recruitment is resolved through role play, will any new material be added to suggest how that kind of thing relates to other parts of the rules (reaction rolls; Charisma talent, etc.) and what kind of limits might apply, or do you intend to just leave these things undefined?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote