Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #61
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Most likely, but the AN/PEQ-15 could be mounted on GPMGs or sharpshooter rifles. And used by skil 20+ PCs.
Yes, but I don't have any experience with either. We used tracers for MGs.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #62
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, but I don't have any experience with either. We used tracers for MGs.
But you're pretty sure the IR illuminator was well visible past 200-300 yards?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #63
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
But you're pretty sure the IR illuminator was well visible past 200-300 yards?
Visible out to about that far yes. I am trying to remember the range they are boresighted to. You might look for the technical manual on boresighting the things.

The thing about the PVS-14 is that with the gain and focus set for useful engagement ranges, it is pretty much black beyond that, so even if the laser was out that far you wouldn't see it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #64
Michael Thayne

Appendix: High-Tech vs. Ultra-Tech comparisons

At various points in writing my posts on this thread, I've mentioned the possibility of using certain TL9 weapons to stand-in for real-world weapons used by the United States. At other points, I've covertly consulted Ultra-Tech to get a general sense of what's reasonable. It seems worth summarizing the places canonical TL9 weapons are—and aren't—in line with what's available from High-Tech. I'm ignoring electronics—this is about comparing implied assumptions about materials, propellants, and warheads.

The basic TL9 service rifle in Ultra-Tech is the Assault Carbine. It has few direct analogs in in High-Tech, but you'd get something very similar if you took an M14 and shortened the barrel a bit (per the gunsmithing rules in Tactical Shooting). The big difference is the TL9 version weighs about 30% less and 2.5 times the shots in a similar-weight magazine, thanks to using caseless ammo.

The TL9 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher is an impressive improvement over its TL8 predecessor—it's a five-shot semiautomatic. The 40mm HE grenade is a slight improvement over the TL8 equivalent (8d vs. 6d+2). Unfortunately there's no TL9 HEDP grenade to compare to.

The "chaingun" is a bit lighter than the KPZ DShK-38, and also has Acc +1, but the lightening is less impressive only lightened by 30%. Damage is a little under-powered for the caliber, range is higher but close enough to be a difference of rounding.

Getting a bit heavier, there's the 64mm and 100mm missile launchers. These are fairly dramatic improvements, speed and range-wise, over their predecessors, by about a factor of 3. Damage for shaped charges is similar. The 160mm Strike Missile launcher from Pyramid #3/37 is heavier and more powerful than the 152mm BGM-71D TOW 2, and again has >2x improved range.

The howitzers in the same Pyramid article also have a huge range advantage over close analogs in High-Tech. It's unclear how they compare to the best real-world artillery, in part because I'm not sure GURPS has always been internally consistent about what range even means. I think I've heard claims that it's a theoretical maximum for firing at a 45 degree angle, but many ranges are unchanged from 3e, and Vehicles 3e says weapon range is based on "a moderately flat trajectory". The cannon ranges from 1 Pyramid article probably should not be used if the specific situation makes that seem wildly unfair, but I'm not sure what's actually "right".
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #65
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
The howitzers in the same Pyramid article also have a huge range advantage over close analogs in High-Tech. It's unclear how they compare to the best real-world artillery, in part because I'm not sure GURPS has always been internally consistent about what range even means. I think I've heard claims that it's a theoretical maximum for firing at a 45 degree angle, but many ranges are unchanged from 3e, and Vehicles 3e says weapon range is based on "a moderately flat trajectory". The cannon ranges from 1 Pyramid article probably should not be used if the specific situation makes that seem wildly unfair, but I'm not sure what's actually "right".
High Tech will limit range based on the elevation capabilities of the actual mounting - I think this is noted for a tank gun?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #66
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
High Tech will limit range based on the elevation capabilities of the actual mounting - I think this is noted for a tank gun?
Checking just now, this is mentioned in two cases. Maybe this is "range based on 45 degree shot unless otherwise noted"?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #67
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Appendix: High-Tech vs. Ultra-Tech comparisons

The "chaingun" is a bit lighter than the KPZ DShK-38, and also has Acc +1, but the lightening is less impressive only lightened by 30%. Damage is a little under-powered for the caliber, range is higher but close enough to be a difference of rounding.
The heavy chaingun is eight pounds heavier than the TL8 Molot NSV 12.7, though.

Note that the hazardous backblast from missile launchers is only 2-3 yards at TL9 instead of 12-15.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #68
Michael Thayne

Postscript to the appendix—

Cannon ranges in High-Tech are all over the map (possibly some were copied from 3e books that didn't all handle range the same way?), but looking at the averages, I think you can get sensible ranges out of the Tech and Toys II article if you divide all cannon ranges by 3—or only by 2 for TL8 rocket-assisted projectiles.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 04-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #69
warellis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftDTZChRQw

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-laser-guided/

What would this 40mm Pike missile be considered? It's essentially an grenade launcher-launched missile with a range of up to 2 kilometers or 1.24 miles.

It uses a casing to first push the missile out of the grenade launcher, much like how Western 40mm grenades are deployed, before the missile itself starts rocketing away.

Last edited by warellis; 04-08-2017 at 10:09 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech, modern firepower