Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
The Colonel

Default Re: [LT] What is an Arbalest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I agree that the authors probably used either the LT crossbow rules or some blend of the old Vehicles rules and the GURPS gun damage formula, but I would not worry too much about what assumptions they used.

I have no idea where Wikipedia gets the idea about steel bows, but as far as I know they appear around the 14th through 16th centuries not the 12th. Arbalest is just Englished Frenched Latin arcuballista "bow-shooter" so it is just as vague as English crossbow. Many Medieval Latin sources just say "ballista" for all shooting machines from the kind that could be loaded on horseback to the kind which needed a team of men to move them from the store-room onto the wall when enemies approached.
Which reminds me ... kind of ironic that we tend to use "ballista" for "bolt firing engine" and "catapult" for "stone throwing engine" given that, IIRC, the Romans used precisely the reverse definitions.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I agree that the authors probably used either the LT crossbow rules or some blend of the old Vehicles rules and the GURPS gun damage formula, but I would not worry too much about what assumptions they used.
Yeah, the only reason I'm giving it so much thought is that I'm working on some house rules for crossbows. I want to be sure I understand what's in Low-Tech before I change it. :)
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Yeah, the only reason I'm giving it so much thought is that I'm working on some house rules for crossbows. I want to be sure I understand what's in Low-Tech before I change it. :)
Ok. Don't forget that damage increases very generously with ST, so there will always be tension between extrapolating forwards from the ST-to-damage chart and extrapolating backwards from the performance of real weapons and Doug Cole's wounding formula.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Have you considered The Deadly Spring?

May not be what you want, but if you're thinking about bow/crossbow stats, it probably should be on your radar.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Which reminds me ... kind of ironic that we tend to use "ballista" for "bolt firing engine" and "catapult" for "stone throwing engine" given that, IIRC, the Romans used precisely the reverse definitions.
I think the thing is that the Romans ballista, while throwing stones, where crossbow like, so when someone made one that threw bolts, it got called a ballista
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Have you considered The Deadly Spring?

May not be what you want, but if you're thinking about bow/crossbow stats, it probably should be on your radar.
Yeah, I'm familiar with TDS, and I've spent some time playing with the spreadsheets. It's a fascinating article. But I don't like the idea of using it to generate weapons to use in play, since it is so complex, and isn't consistent with the rules for other muscle-powered weapons (ranged and otherwise). The rules for spanning methods need a lot of work, too.

I'm definitely using it to inform my house rules, though.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech