Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Question Concerning Magic Achilles heel like Tattoo

Ok SJGames, I've run into a dead end concerning how to stat this Achilles heel like disadvantage all half-elves have do to there status as half-breeds. Basically they're inherently meek and fragile but there elven parent has there body go under extreme magical augmentation via rune magic tattoos, making them faster stronger and healthier then there otherwise weaker genetics would allow. The price they pay for such an enhancements is that they all posses a lifeline tattoo that spans the length of there spine which if ever severed causes them to die.

Half-Elf Soul-Binding Tattoo Crunch:

A tattoo located on the spine (possible -8 to deliberately target in combat? And a large chance to be hit on any cutting/crushing attack to the back?). Once it takes 1 damage, it is "broken" and ceases function; at which point the Half-Elf is doomed. Time to death can be anywhere from instant to a few days (the extremes at either end).

Originally I stated this out as Dependency (Magical Tattoo) (Rare) (Constantly, 1 HP per minute, x5) for -150 points but this ended up being worth far too many points for them to act as a Playable race so I'd like this solution to be worth a good deal less points if possible.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Ternas

Default Re: Question Concerning Magic Achilles heel like Tattoo

Honestly, it sounds like it would be better off like this:

Terminally Ill, Up to 1 Month (Mitigator (Intact Magical Tattoo), -60%) [-40]

OR

Draining (Rare, Intact Magical Tattoo) [-15]

True, these won't kill the Half-Elf immediately, but it does drop the disadvantage cost immensely. Basically the point seems to be that as long as they have their tattoo then they'll be able to live, without it they're fated to die.

The former does so by ensuring that their terminal illness keeps going so long as the tattoo is intact using the -60% modifier for a vulnerable mitigation that can be easily broken. If it is broken then Terminally comes into effect and they are doomed to die within the month. Perhaps start some death rolls every once in awhile to see when they might.

The latter uses Draining rules with the substance being a unique/rare magical tattoo. When it's broken then they will take 2hp worth of damage at midnight that can't be regenerated by any means.

Not sure if these are completely RAW legal, but they seem like the best way to model the weakness of these folks.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Question Concerning Magic Achilles heel like Tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
Not sure if these are completely RAW legal, but they seem like the best way to model the weakness of these folks.
The time can be any specific time of day, instead of just midnight. Personally, I prefer dawn and sunset, as they seem to fit a little better.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote