Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
fictionfan

Default Fixing collateral damage?

My GM is hosting a supers game and from what I have read and what the other players say about how their making there characters I think that there is going to be a lot of collateral damage. (also my gm likes big explosions).

I want to make a character that is able to fix collateral damage as least to buildings because that should give me some great reputation and I think my GM might allow me more points for the ability then he normally would because it allows him to have more explosions without breaking the world. Anyone have a good idea about how to go about is ability? The game is 1,000 points, but as I said I should be able to get more out of him.
fictionfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Fixing collateral damage?

Affliction (Negated Disadvantage (Unhealing), Advantage (Regeneration), Accessibility (Buildings Only), Area Effect (Lots))
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
fictionfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Affliction (Negated Disadvantage (Unhealing), Advantage (Regeneration), Accessibility (Buildings Only), Area Effect (Lots))
Sorry I am little new to Gurps. How do I calculate the point value of that.

Edit:I found the Affliction and the other , but not the Negated Disadvantage (Unhealing).
Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Area Effect 64 yard 300%; Negated Disadvantage, Unhealing, +300%) [60] + Regeneration Extreme(150%) (Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Injuries Only, -20%;) [110].
is this right? It's alot less then I expected I might take off the only on buildings and increase the area. I just have to walk around town.

Last edited by fictionfan; 12-25-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Affliction is a 10 point advantage (Basic page 35). "Not Unhealing (Total)" can be thought of as an advantage worth 30 points and therefore is a +300% Enhancement. Depending on how fast you want the Regeneration to occur, it will be between +100% and +1500%. You'll also want some Extended Duration (Basic page 105) depending again on how long you want it to take (but remember that Affliction is normally in minutes). You don't actually need Area Effect if you only want to fix one building at a time (but your GM probably does want to use the rules for SM and Affliction in Powers), but you'll want it if you want to fix whole city blocks at a time. Accessibility is often hard to peg, but I'd put "Only on Buildings" at -60%, personally. You'll probably have a Power Modifier which will be a limitation as well.

If you are using additive modifiers (the default rules from the Basic Set), follow the rules on Basic 101. If your GM is using the option multiplicative modifiers the rules are in Powers (I don't have that book with me right now).

Quote:
Edit:I found the Affliction and the other , but not the Negated Disadvantage (Unhealing).
Right, sorry. That was a mistake. I meant you can treat "Not Unhealing" as an advantage and afflict that.

Alternatively, you could use Snatcher with Creation (and Large Objects and enough More Weight) and Accessibility (Only to Replace Damaged Buildings) which might be more RAW (rules as written), but doesn't quite work for me, because it isn't strictly fixing the buildings.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-25-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionfan View Post
... Healing (Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Injuries Only, -20%;) [15]...
Whether you go with Healing, or sir_pudding's suggestion of afflicting Regeneration, remember that they both scale with the heal-ee's HP score -- the higher their HP score, the more HP are restored by Healing or Regeneration. See High HP and Healing, p. B424. This really helps with buildings which can easily have hundreds or thousands of HP (see HP and DR of Structures, p. B558).

sir_pudding: Negated Disadvantage wasn't a mistake. It's an enhancement for Affliction found in GURPS Powers (p. P41), and you used it correctly. : )
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
fictionfan

Quote:
Sorry I am little new to Gurps. How do I calculate the point value of that.

Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Area Effect 64 yard 300%; Negated Disadvantage, Unhealing, +300%) [60] + Regeneration Extreme(150%) (Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Injuries Only, -20%;) [110].
is this right? It's alot less then I expected I might take off the only on buildings and increase the area. I just have to walk around town.
Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only On buildings, -60%; Area Effect 64 yard 300%; Negated Disadvantage, Unhealing, +300%) [60] +
Affliction 1 Regeneration Extreme(150%) (Area Effect 64 yard 300%) (Accessibility, Only On buildings, -60%; Injuries Only, -20%;) [it's ether 37 for 370%(300+150-60-20) or 9 for 45 with a 80% limitation].
this makes the abilities cost about a very small amount of points. Could I just walk around the city and have the buildings heal around me with this.

Edit: I should maybe get into the habit of making new posts instead of editing old ones.

Last edited by fictionfan; 12-25-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Affliction 1
Your GM probably will want to use the rules for SM and Affliction from Powers, and also buildings have DR 10+ both of which will make it harder to afflict the buildings. You'll probably want to either take several levels of Affliction and an appropriate Power Talent to overcome it.
Quote:
Regeneration Extreme(150) (Accessibility, Only On buildings, -20%; Injuries Only, -20%;) [90].
You need to apply the Accessibility to the Affliction. "Only on buildings" doesn't meaningfully apply to Regeneration at all since "buildings" are typically unhealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
sir_pudding: Negated Disadvantage wasn't a mistake. It's an enhancement for Affliction found in GURPS Powers (p. P41), and you used it correctly. : )
That's what I get for not having a pdf of powers.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
fictionfan

If I take out the buildings only limitation would this power work like a sort of anti-entropy for stuff around me? In the sense that when a something is worn it has lost HP so that the things around the PC become newer? (I might get a aura in that case)

Edit: I just read the high hit point healing rules I think am going to switch from Extreme to very fast making it so it will take 10 seconds to heal instead of 1 which is still faster than can walk, but will look cool.

Last edited by fictionfan; 12-25-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If I take out the buildings only limitation would this power work like a sort of anti-entropy for stuff around me? In the sense that when a something is worn it has lost HP so that the things around the PC become newer? (I might get a aura in that case)
It'll work on anything that doesn't have Unhealing (Partial) probably, yeah.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
fictionfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It'll work on anything that doesn't have Unhealing (Partial) probably, yeah.
why only things that have Unhealing? I know that is should negate unhealing, but why would that mean that other things don't heal?

Tags
supers