Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Fullmetalix

Default Avatar

So my friend and I were talking about doing an RPG based off of Avatar the Last Airbender and we were having a tad bit of trouble deciding how to do bending, we personally thought we would do it like this:
So there are four types of bending to get the first level you would buy it as a "physical hard" skill and then you can learn actual bending after this and it would go somewhat like this:
First "level" Mental average skill
this is the most basic level of bending, simple manipulation, very little combat usage

Second "level" Mental hard skill
this is the average level doing things such as combat manuvers such as controlling your element in ways that it can do damage and doing slightly harder bending E.G: Earth benders using sand, water benders turning water to ice.

and third "level" Mental very hard skill
this is the highest and best where even the least offensive bending can kill or destroy, and all are allowed to use their "sub type" of bending E.G: water benders healing, earth users using metal, fire using lightening

So any comments?
P.S.
we're using 3rd edition
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Cybren

Default Re: Avatar

Get 4th edition, use naloths awesome GURPSification:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...atar+airbender
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Dalillama

You'll probably get a lot of use from this thread, although I don't think it has any imbuements in it, which might make a good addition if you have the supplement.

EDIT:ninja'd

Last edited by Dalillama; 05-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Fullmetalix

Thanks man, I browsed through all these forums and did not see that at all, thanks much
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
theshadow99

Oddly Neither of those where pointed out two weeks ago, when I started building Elemental Martial Arts into a framework for a Wuxia campaign...

On the other hand I built everything into a kit of skills and ended up using a greater (and more asian) set of elements...
theshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow99 View Post
Oddly Neither of those where pointed out two weeks ago, when I started building Elemental Martial Arts into a framework for a Wuxia campaign...

On the other hand I built everything into a kit of skills and ended up using a greater (and more asian) set of elements...
Well people often recall a thread based on keywords and your thread ddint seem to spark the same concept. I thought of the Avatar series and threads but you seemed to be going in a different direction and with different ideas or I may have looked it up for you. And I suspect others too.
There is a huge amount of info here and most things have been covered and covered multiple times.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Fnordianslip

If you want a real simple solution for bending skills, look to Thaumatology. Use Realm Based Magic with the four elements. The levels would be pretty straightforward and skill modifiers could be used for particularly tricky stuff. Also, you might want to not charge fatigue for the use of Realm Magic in an Avatar style world. Just hit em with fatigue costs for doing extended tasks or combat kinda thingy. Then they could do tons of stuff with bending, but still be dead tired after a long engagement or combat.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
theshadow99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip View Post
If you want a real simple solution for bending skills, look to Thaumatology. Use Realm Based Magic with the four elements. The levels would be pretty straightforward and skill modifiers could be used for particularly tricky stuff. Also, you might want to not charge fatigue for the use of Realm Magic in an Avatar style world. Just hit em with fatigue costs for doing extended tasks or combat kinda thingy. Then they could do tons of stuff with bending, but still be dead tired after a long engagement or combat.
I mentioned this in my thread on how to handle elemental martial arts... Though I didn't adjust Fatigue... ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well people often recall a thread based on keywords and your thread ddint seem to spark the same concept. I thought of the Avatar series and threads but you seemed to be going in a different direction and with different ideas or I may have looked it up for you. And I suspect others too.
There is a huge amount of info here and most things have been covered and covered multiple times.
Well I did mention Avatar the last airbender, Though I also mentioned Jade Empire, Dynasty Warriors, Naruto, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, and more influences I wanted to pull into one world... I actually ended up duplicating the 'Create/Control' concepts in the Avatar thread in the end as well as using Imbue.. And with the wealth of Imbue skills I made 8 'elements' rather than 4 (Western) or 5 (Eastern) by using I Ching/Ba gua... I'm still refining my take on it though... ^^
theshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote